Audi Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

i just bought a 2002 A4 Quattro to find that the windshield fluid pump is not working properly. the wiper blades work fine, but i do not hear anything from the pump. i read over some posts and my conclusion is that either the fuse is out or the pump needs to be replaced. has anyone done this successfully? i just fixed my window regulator and ever since made it my mission to work on my audi myself as often as possible. if anyone has any experience w/ this please respond! thanks!

btw, is the bently repair manual for the audi's reliable?

joe

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Have you got someone to pull back the storck and head your head under the bonnet just to ensure the pump??

i think if i remeber right the pump is about 6 inch away from the bottom of the fluid bottle... its easier to go under the car and up rather than from above...

The bently manuals are meant to be great... however have a look on ebay and theres loads on AUDI manuals on CD for sale (very cheap!)... i have never bought one so its at your risk... compared to the bentrly manuals which are $$$

Cheers

Rickt

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks rick.. i'll give that a try. i've been looking for the problem from above and got nowhere. tried it from under, but i guess my head's too big to fit under the a4 w/out jacking it up :p

i've seen the cds out for sale on the audi's. i guess i'll give that a try and see whether they're worth it or not. thanks for the post.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
no worries... if you do get a cd from ebay... let me know if its any good.... i could drop you a few quid via paypal for a offsite backup copy

Cheers

rickt

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
I have just found this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fuse #37

""It is very likely a fuse. I had this same issue last year and found it was a 25A fuse near the bottom of the box. What I'm sure happended to me was ice built up on the pop-up washers for the headlamps and the actuator couldn't pop them up, drawing too much current - pop! The pump for the windscreen and headlamps are the same. There is no "label" for "headlight washer pump" fuse on the inside box cover, since it's tied into another circuit. I beleive it's fuse number 37.""

it was fuse #37, labeled in the manual as "Intelligence Module". It is a yellow 20 Amp fuse instead of a 25 amp though.

This fixed my windshield and headlight washer problem also.

CHEERS

RICKT

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the input rick.. i'm gonna tend to this tomorrow and i'll post up what i find. thanks again...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok.. so i checked the fuse panel and it seems the #37 fuse for the windshield fluid was out of commission (thanks for the help RickT). but there seems to be another problem. i replaced the fuse to find that 2 seconds after activating the windshield washer, the fuse would quickly burn out. i think that the headlight washer fluid mechanism is not working properly, thus drawing too much power and blowing the fuse. has anyone encountered this problem too?? do i have to change part of the headlight washer fluid assembly? would appreciate any reply.. thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well.. the original fuse that was factory installed was a 20A fuse. will it make a huge difference if i try the 25A? do you think the headlight washer is not working properly because it's a 20A?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok.. at this point i'm basically ready to try 'something' rather than nothing if in the end i'm gonna have to take it to the dealer anyways.. i'll post up wat i find.. thanks for the input..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok.. so i tried the 25A and the 30A fuses but still no luck. at this point i highly doubt there's anything wrong with the fuses because the windshield washer fluid seems to be working fine on the windshield. would there be something wrong with the mechanism down by the headlight washer??

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
i would agree... if the screen wash works... and the light wash does not... theres an issues..

Best option is get it onto vag-com

Rickt

·
Registered
2 Posts
New audi owner. I am having the same problem. the no. 37 fuse blows if I try to use the washer with the headlights on. What was the solution for your's? Can I bypass the headlamp washer, or do I need to try and have it fixed? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Snyda4

·
Registered
2 Posts
Headlamp Washer blows fuse no.37

Needed new H-Lamp washer pump. About a $40 part from body shop. Unfortunately I cant offer any idea about the work required to perform this repair, as it was done in conjunction with some body repairs.

Good Luck

Snyda4

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here is the washer pumps' location (there are 2). They can be accessed by removing the driver side wheel (I'm Canadian so the driver side might not be the same as yours!!!) and peeling the wheel well liner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks to RickT's post here! It is fuse #37 (at bottom middle of fuse box) and it is a 25amp. My fluid pump had just stopped working during the snow storm here this weekend. Fortunately, a quick search on here and finding this post saved me potentially hours of investigation. Got lucky...this was the first thing I checked...wheh!

Tips for other readers:

1. The fuse box is located on the *side* of the dashboard, accessible when driver's door is open. There is a pop-off plastic panel to reveal the fuse box, with no screws (uses clips instead).

2. Clear off any snow/ice on top of your front bumper *BEFORE* trying to use your windshield/headlamp washers to avoid blowing the fuse!

·
Registered
2 Posts
...and, more tips:

3. The back of the fuse box cover has a fuse remover tool on it! How cool is that?

4. To test if the fuse is bad just "borrow" another 25amp fuse from another position before making the trip out to your local auto parts store for a new fuse. (hee hee)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I doubt i have the same solution to my fluid problem. But the drivers side is spraying MAYBE 1/3 of the way up the windshild and the passenger side isnt working at all. Tried to clear out the tips but with no changes. think i may need to blow them out with a compressor.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts