Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, Tried to do my first oil change today.
removed drain plug, oil poured into oil pan.
Then I realised what I did.
I didn't remove the plug from the engine
but from the gearbox :clap:
How do I find where you replace this oil?
is there some place where you can reintroduce
oil?
Any help would be greatly appreceted.
Its the 1.8T 225 (year 1999) I have by the way.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
normally it a special tool on the Audi's for gearbox oil...(its normally life on a manual box)

have you sorted it now??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had to leave the car sitting in the garage because I am working.
I was hoping to find out what I need to do by the weekend so I can get it back on the road by then. The oil that came out of the gearbox was the blackest and thickest gunk I've ever seen, I can't believe it doesn't need changing

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just finished changing gearbox oil and it was really easy! :banana:
Not much harder than the oil change. the filler plug was on the front side where the drain plug was. I bought 3 litres of castrol TAF-X. Castrols website and the parts shop said the 1.8 TT needs 2.6 litres. I managed to get 2.5 litres into the gearbox. You will need a 14mm hex bolt adapter (I found one in my local halfords) This fits the drain and filler plug. You cant get a tool onto the filler plug, I inserted the adapter into it and turned the adapter with a big pair of pliers. I squeezed the oil in from underneath the car which was hard. You can probably run a long tube from above through engine bay and use a funnel. thats it job done :amen:

thanks for responses guys :beer: took car for a spin up to 70mph and felt nor heard anything dodgy. infact I may be imagining it but the car felt as smooth as a babys bottom, I added K&N gold oil filter and Castrol edge 0W-30 oil so I think it's possible but I can't be very objective about the topic :liebe011:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts