Audi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK this is weird, now, one of the things that started all of this is that, although owners manual states that the motor will take 6 quarts of oil, but I saw on a tuning website (maybe ECS?) a kit with filters etc and 7 quarts of oil, so I am wondering what is going on with that (maybe a typo on the owners manual?). So I Change the oil and put 6 quarts in, pull it out of the garage (my friends driveway has a slight grade to it) and shut it off, and the level is right at the bottom of the range on the stick, so I am thinking that the 7th quart needs to go in, well shame on me, the next day I went and got another quart and threw it in without checking the dipstick, I look at the stick after that, and it was like ½ inch over the top of the range! Now, if I look at the stick and all the oil is not gone everywhere it needs to go (i.e. up into the filter, into all the coolers etc.), how can it be any higher the next time you look at it?, I cannot wrap my mind around it. THEN, I drained out about a quart plus the spillage, about a quart and a third total lets say, pulled the car down off the ramps, checked it and again it was at the bottom of the range on the stick, so I put a ½ quart of the oil I just drained out back in there, to get it to the top of the range on the stick (I guess I should have shot for the middle of the range), by now there is 100 miles or so on the oil, so I am thinking the oil has gone everywhere it needs to go, so the next time I look, the oil is 3/8 of an inch over the top of the range!!

WHAT THE FLIP IS GOING ON??:eek:

I am guessing there is some kind of sump system, or some oil cooler thing that maybe drains back into the pan, or something like that?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, it made a liar out of me, went to drain some out and it was right at the top of the fill range, right where I had it, is there a huge difference between checking it cold vs. hot? I dunno, I am baffled.....

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Lol you should always check the oil when the engine is cold or not been run for a while for a true level to let the oil drain down to the sump which is where the dipstick takes the reading from :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah but then the oil level would be higher cold? I was hot when I checked it last night......

·
Registered
5 Posts
the 2.7t takes 6.75 quarts of oil perfectly. i don't know about your engine but i am pretty sure they are the same. hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts