Audi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
So my 06 2.4 petrol overheats when going uphill, not in bumper to bumper traffic though. Even weirder, I have gone up the same hill locked in 2nd gear and in S mode and it doesnt overheat, any ideas please?

thanks all

·
Registered
22 Posts
Most engines need 2000 + rpm to work well. There are two sensors on the cylinder head coolant outlet one for the ECU and one for the gauge. There are two sensors to start the coolant fans one at the bottom of the rad' and one at the top of the engine. My A6 runs at 90C the temp' varies either side of 90 by a few degrees. The fans coming on and going off is normal.
Getting too hot going up a hill can be caused by being in too higher gear for too long.
You need to give more info'. Time on hill, gear used, eng rpm, coolant temp', throttle position etc. Do you have a wk shp ml to read? What happens? What is the overheating condition you mention? How do you know it is overheating?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Shod, thanks for the reply
Car has a cvt auto transmission, when I go up hill in Drive, after a couple of minutes the temperature jumps from low 90s and starts going close to red so I always pulls over, this drive is at like 40km, slight gas, perhaps 1700rpm.
When I do the same in Sport mode or 2nd gear, at about 2100 rpm, the temp stays at just above 90, like always.
Yesterday I tried again in Sport and pulled over, shut off, restarted a few seconds later, and temp was high.
I dont have a shop manual, am trying to find a vag reader.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So my 06 2.4 petro - I suppose it is 2006. My A6 is 1996 1984 cc C4 platform. You car could be very different than mine.

When the engine is stopped after it has reached operating temp' - heat rises - to the top of the engine - at/near the top of the engine is a heat sensor/switch which via a relay/switches and timer activates the coolant fans - the fans can run when the engine is stopped. The coolant temp] sensor is usually fitted on the coolant outlet pipe from the head. There are two sensors one for the ECU and one for the gauge. When the engine is stopped after it has reached operating temp' then within about 10 mins the engine is restarted the gauge temp' shall read high - heat rises.

I have never had an automatic gearbox.

A rise in engine temp' may be due to using the engine in too high a gear - slogging or flogging the engine. High rpm for long periods. A restriction within the coolant system. Too little coolant. Air in the coolant system (acts as a restriction). Air can be drawn in. A knackered water pump. Water pump belt slip. Sheared woodruff key if it has one.

It is better if you have the correct wk shp ml. I don't know where to get one. I have read that Bentley are good.

I used to get info' from the internet and used BMW info' for the A6 until I found some info' I think it was called Elsa Win. Old programs don't work on W 10. I have just found that my Oracle Virtual Machine no longer works on W10 (MS updates prevent the use of old programs) the wk shp ml I have for the A6 is on the VM which has XP and W7.

I dont' have a vag reader or diagnostic device.

From your comments - look at the water pump drive/belt - check the temp' all around the system an infra red heat gun is good £20 - feel the pipes when cool if too soft could = not enought coolant in the system / in that part of the system.

The thermostat basically divides the coolant system in half. Closed: The coolant goes around the engine and cab heater. Open: The coolant goes around the eng', cab heater and radiator.

On my A6 the coolant is a pressurised system. As yours goes to 90 C it is also pressurised. Pressure can be lost via the header tank cap. Check for any drips water drops The higher the pressure the higher the temp' the system can operate at. Years ago 70 C was the coolant temp for most engines. Now it is 90 C.

·
Registered
22 Posts
On the internet there are free pdf wk shp mls the ones I found were for the Quadro. Allcarmanuals and others. You may not get what you want. Check what they are offering what they have.
These may not be specific to your car = problems sorting out what is what.
I had on the Oracle VM virtual box which had XP and W7 OS on it. I had Elsawin and Autodoc. W10 updates have prevented the VM from opening.
To download and install a new VM would mean unistalling the present non working VM and there for loose all that is on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts