Audi Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people. I am new to this forum.

I have a problem with my Audi 80, 1.9 TDI from 1992.

When I bought the car the temp. was constantly at 80. One year ago I got problems with the temp. going up to about 95. I contacted my Audi dealer, which changed pump and thermostat, but the problem was still there. They then told me that the water was leaking into the engine, and that this repair would cost 2,500$.

I went to another mechanic who told me that the problem was not with the water leaking into the engine's oil, but he was unable to fix my problem.

Then came winther, and it got a little better, so I didn't worry about it, until this summer, when the problem again got worse.

When I drive up-hill I get temp. around 95, which is too much. Sometimes it reaches 100.

Anyone got any ideas? How high temp. can the car take before I should worry about it?

Any kind of reply is appreciated.

Thanks,

Limbo

·
Registered
144 Posts
If water is leaking into the engine, you'll see that the water level is decreasing. (I suppose you checked the level and it's OK :p ).

Now, things weren't OK with your cooling system from the start. Water shouldn't stay constantly at 80, but at 90. And again, repeated boiling of water is NOT OK and you should fix it ASAP. Supposing that there's no air in the cooling system (no leaks), this may indicate a fan/thermostat problem. Since your thermostat is new, check out the fan. How does it work at low and at high water temperatures?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The water level is decreasing, but if it was going into the engine, I should see the oil turning gray, which it's not.

We are in the process of checking for leaks elsewere.

There are 2 fans in the front. When are these supposed to start working? Yesterday I started the car in the carage, and the temp. got up to 100 degrees, but the fans were not moving. Is this normal?

Also when the temp. was 100 degrees I the upper pipe was very hot while the one further down was almost cool. What does this indicate?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Also when the temp. was 100 degrees I the upper pipe was very hot while the one further down was almost cool. What does this indicate?"

What I meant was that it didn't get hot UNTIL it got to 100 degrees. I imagine it should get hot when the engine is around 90 degrees.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Originally posted by Limbo@Oct 8 2005, 12:35 PM
The water level is decreasing, but if it was going into the engine, I should see the oil turning gray, which it's not.

We are in the process of checking for leaks elsewere.

There are 2 fans in the front. When are these supposed to start working? Yesterday I started the car in the carage, and the temp. got up to 100 degrees, but the fans were not moving. Is this normal?

Also when the temp. was 100 degrees I the upper pipe was very hot while the one further down was almost cool. What does this indicate?
1. It's not normal that the fans are not working. One fan is for cooling, the other for AC. You should have at least the cooling fan working at 90 degrees. This is 99% a thermostat problem

2. It's normal that the upper pipe is hotter than the lower one, because the water cools in the radiator. However, a big temperature difference may indicate a clogged radiator.

Regarding the leaks, do you have signs of water under the bonnet or even under the car? If not, then the water level is decreasing (slowly) simply because you reach 100 degrees and it boils.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went out and bought me a new thermoswitch. It's part number 191959481C.

The one that is in the car currently is 191959481A, and was put in by the Audi dealer 1½ year ago, when they tried to fix my problem.

It says:

95 102
---- ----
84 91

On my new switch. Why so many degrees? When should the fan start?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't know what
95 102
---- ----
84 91
means. However, the fan should start working somewhere between 80 and 90. It should not allow water to boil. Did you try the new thermostat on the car? How does it behave?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I set in my new thermoswitch, and the fans went on when the car got just above 90 degrees :)

So now I look forward to going for a long drive somewhere where I know there are usually problems with the heat.

Thanks for the help. I will post back when I have more information.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have no update regarding the overheating yet, but I have another question regarding heat..

When I drive slow-city-driving or idle the car, the temp. seems to stay at 80, how could this be?

Thermostat should open at 88, thermoswitch at 95, so what could cause the temp. to stay at 80?

Is there any other thing that could cool the car at 80?

Limbo

·
Registered
144 Posts
Welcome to the club...

I have the same problem. Mine stays at 78. I have written several posts about this, and the other problems that I have, but no answer yet. I am still trying to find out what's causing this. It's not normal, the engine is "happy" at 90 degrees. That's the optimum temperature. Neither 80, nor 100 are good.

Anyway, try to drive the car harder, see if you can get to 90. If you drive too smooth, that might cause the temperature to not reach 90. And I've read somewhere that a diesel engine that is left idling will never reach 90.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I drive the card harder, I reach 90 (hopefully it wont go above 95 anymore :lol:)

But it seems to have a preference for about 80, as it gets up to 80 and then hangs until I push it somewhat hard.

When I reach 90, and then go back to some slow city-driving, it tends to go towards 80 again.

Please post here if you ever find the answer to the question :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
How exactly do you drive it? What do you mean by "hard" and "slow"? Interested in speed, gears, rpms at which you change, rpms at constant speed, etc...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First I want to say that I was for a long drive yesterday, in a place where the temp. usually gets up to about 95 - 100, I got 85 yesterday. I don't understand the huge difference, because the fans shouldn't start before it reaches 95. I'm guessing it has something to do with a delay in temp. shown inside the car and the actual temp. Any thoughts?

The car doesn't show rpms. It has a huge clock instead :)

When I refer to slow driving it is in the city, where I have to stop frequently for red lights etc., and I drive about 50 kmph in 3rd gear or 60 kmpt in 4th gear, depending on if it's downhill or not.

When I go out of town, I usually drive 80 - 90 kmph in 5th gear.

Overall yesterday the temp. was between 80 and 85.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Originally posted by Limbo@Oct 17 2005, 03:13 PM
First I want to say that I was for a long drive yesterday, in a place where the temp. usually gets up to about 95 - 100, I got 85 yesterday. I don't understand the huge difference, because the fans shouldn't start before it reaches 95. I'm guessing it has something to do with a delay in temp. shown inside the car and the actual temp. Any thoughts?
The car doesn't show rpms. It has a huge clock instead :)
When I refer to slow driving it is in the city, where I have to stop frequently for red lights etc., and I drive about 50 kmph in 3rd gear or 60 kmpt in 4th gear, depending on if it's downhill or not.
When I go out of town, I usually drive 80 - 90 kmph in 5th gear.
Overall yesterday the temp. was between 80 and 85.
I know that huge clock... had an 80 1.8S some time ago with no rpm gauge :)

1. The fans *must* start before 95, otherwise it's too late...
2. I don't think that there's any delay in showing the temp on the instrument cluster.
3. From what you're telling me, I'm convinced now that you have an underheating problem, though not that major (as mine is for example :) ). Try changing gears at a little higher rpm and maybe keep the 3rd even at 60kph (though this is not a solution...).

I'll keep you updated if I find anything about my problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I HAD an underheating and an overheating problem :)

The overheating problem seems to be fixed until further notice, by changing the thermoswitch.

I wasn't even aware that I had an underheating problem until recently. When I bought the car, I remember the temp. staying constantly at 80. I just thought that was normal.

I will keep you updated if I come across any more info

1 - 16 of 16 Posts