Audi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual for my 2006 A6 S-Line tells me that I need to take the car to a dealership to replace a headlight bulb! Having opened the bonnet and looked, it does seem pretty awkward to get to the headlamp units, and some items will definitely need to be reomoved, but is it really that difficult that it needs an "engineer" to do it?

Would anyone happen to have a step-by-step guide as to what I need to do to remove the ancillary bits and pieces around the headlamp unit to get to the bulbs?

I'm going to replace the standard halogen units with an HID Xenon upgrade, so this is not something that the dealership will do for me.

I have found a very reputable UK source for 6000k Xenon kits that have upgraded ballasts and filters to avoid the "blown bulb" indicator, or ballast problems associated with the cheaper kits found on e-bay and the like. They are much more expensive (around £300), but have a full warranty, and are guaranteed to work due to the fact that they were specially developed to work with the new Audi, Mercedes and Volvo models.

Thanks in advance,

Paul​

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
This is how you do it on the A4 - i guess it will be the same..

really simple..

You need to take the headlight unit out if its on the left hand side (due to power steering reservoir, if on the right hand side you can just about get to the cover to remove it...

If you need to remove the head lights ..

it simple... 4 torque screws on the top (2 at the front, 2 at the back, you need to look down for them).. undo and slide towards youself.... (place on something soft and remove the plastic cover and change bulb.. reinstall and tighten )

Thats all thats to it..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Paul,

I would also be interested in this upgade so I would be grateful if you could let me know the site you purchased the kit from.

Gordon..

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Rick
Thanks for the information. I'm not sure it is quite the same though, as the headlamp units on the new A6 are actually underneath the leading edge of the front wings, due to the way they cut into the bonnet of the car. I'll have a good look in daylight though, and see if I can get anywhere!

Gordon - The site is www.hids4u.co.uk, and the kit you need is the "HIDS4U Ultimate Kit".
Full link here:
http://www.hids4u.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=282

The kit retails for £250, and they seem to have installation facilities all over the UK if you need help.

Just so I am clear (and hopefully not breaking forum rules) I am in no way associated with this site, it is just something I found when searching for HID units. However, if it is against rules, Mods please delete the links and let me know.

Cheers

Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts