Audi Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car has had a hard time starting since I've owned it (1 month)

Well, except in the morning. It fires right up! The idle oscillates up and down real bad.... I need to pull the ISV and giver her a better hosing out.

Now, I drive to work, car runs great expect the occasional hiccup.

She sits there for 9 hours and I go to start her. Takes a bit of cranking and she fires, but sounds bad like she's running on 3-4 cylinders... Throws a big cloud of smoke (Kinda black then blue/white) Doesn't smell like burning oil, rather a really rich start or the cylinders are full of fuel. After about 20-40 seconds of coaxing her, she clears her throat and chugs along merrily. I don't notice any smoke after this unless I really get on her, and a tiny puff of black smoke... But that seems pretty normal when you romp on a car.

Now I do have new plugs to put in, so I'm hoping that'll help.

What causes a rich running condition like that??

I don't know if this is related or a normal trait for the car.... But when I'm cruising along at speeds less then 40, I let off the ges and it's like she bucks a little. Almost like a switch is thrown and she decelerates quickly. I barely press on the gas and she bucks forward. Think a new driver on a clutch car where the let it out too fast. (not as harsh though) Is this normal behavior?
Almost feels like a speed brake, I just want the off pedal deceleration to be smooth like most cars. Not like I threw a parachute.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Ok the rich smell of fuel and hard starting and the black/white/blue smoke is your injectors are leaking into the cylinders while you are at work. Or when you park the car. When you go to start it it's causing cylinder wash which can be very expensive in the long run as I found out the hard way. I had the same problem. I bet when you remove the old plugs that they will be black as night. So don't even bother putting the new ones in just yet. See cylinder wash washes all the oil off the cylinder walls causing the rings and the cylinder to have very little lubrication and that is not good. What you need to do is take out the injectors and find good used ones or spend the $300 bux US and by 034's injector upgrade kit. See I replaced mine with a set of used good stock injectors and it fixed the problem. I went through so many spark plugs that it was driving me crazy. So get some injectors in that thing that are not leaking while the car is shut down and then put the plugs in. Hopefully you have not done alot of damage internally. Good luck, get back to me if you need anything else.

Greg!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the reply!

That makes perfect sense. Only thing is the injectors look brand new, maybe they're just clean....dunno. I'll look into getting the new set.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Yeah do that Cristen...what did the old plugs look like. If they are black get some injectors that don't leak and might be a good idea to get a new O2 sensor aswell, as the one you have now is prolly soaked in unburnt fuel and is prolly shot. Also the catylatic converter is prolly shot aswell. Talking from experience here. This thing that is happening to you is the exact thing that happened to me about a year ago. Trust me on this, you won't regret it. Good luck!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet, thanks! I haven't pulled the plugs yet. But will this weekend.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1, 3 and 4 are black as knight.... The other two look good.

I'm gonna order the set from 034 motorsports.

Question for ya. I'm going to by an OBDII code reader for my wifes Jetta. It'll be the Vag-Com usb style. I see they sell an ODBI converter harness to plug into the 2 connector type. Have you used one of these, and does it work good?

BTW... I'm a VW fanatic at heart. Have owned nothing but VW's even before I could drive. VW's and Audi's rock!

Here's my post on my Wifes car. I traded a 42" plasma TV for it....LOL!! Well, I traded a pinball machine for my 91 90Q... What a deal!

96 Jetta GL 2.0l with a no spark issue that'll drive ya nuts - Electrical Issues forum - VolkswagenTalk.com

And my club website: Untitled

·
Registered
722 Posts
That's to funny, I've been and audi guys since I was 13. 35 now and still love the old tanks. My wife just sold her 2001 1.8t jetta and went Japanese(toyota). Yes I have used the VAG OBDII/OBDI connection harness and it works great. That's how I pulled codes from my 3 coupes and the wifes Jetta. I strongly recommend getting it. Very useful and easy to follow along with. Ok good that means you are running really rich. If they were white then I would be worried. White plugs is a lean running engine and fuel starvation. You said 1,3 and 4 are black and 2&5 look ok??? That means you have 3 injectors that are leaking fuel down into those cylinders. Very common with these hitachi injectors. Get the 034 upgrade kit. And make sure you put the BOSCH F6-DTC plugs in it. They are the proper heat temp for your car. These 20v engines love those plugs.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sweet! Thanks for the info! I'm gonna order the Vag-Com cable. Do the cheap ones from Ebay work just as well? I haven't heard any bad stuff about 'em.

BTW... My name is Doug.. Glad to meet ya.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I'm Greg...nice to meet you to! Umm I'm not sure of the ones on ebay. I would suspect they should do the job. Maybe research alittle bit prior to getting the ones from ebay. You find out reviews and such from people who have bought the ebay supplied units. Just so you get an idea if they are as good as the original units. Just to be safe. Remember this one saying..."your engine is the last place you want to cheap out on". Something I've been living by since I've been able to drive. Here I'll tell you what give me the link to the ebay VAG-Com's and I'll see what I can dig up on them. Later!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
These ones: ebay vag-com - Google Product Search

and the 2x2 cable is there too.

30 bucks isn't on the cheap side, they have cheaper ones for like 3 bucks.... (Not going with that)

Hey, you know anything about Jettas? LOL I'm having a heck of a time with my wife's new one.

I've been wanting to ask you.... Is that your quattro in your signature? The black one? That's a bad arse pic!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Well I know abit about jetta's. Which model is it? MKIV, MK5. No the red coupe is mine. The black I have driven before but it's a good friend of mines. Yeah that thing has a HUGE turbo set-up in it and I think he went bigger since that pic. All I know is that he has 645hp to the wheels. Yeah sick ride. Anyway's I'll get on this VAG-COM for you as soon as I get off work tomorrow night at around 7:30pm EST. By the way where are you from? I'm in Canada. You?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I live in a little town called Trail. It's in Southern Oregon. About 20 miles outside Medford near the California border.

The wife's Jetta is a 1996. The link I posted earlier has the full diagnostic procedure I've been trying to go through. I better keep it Audi only in here for fear of getting this thread locked.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since we're on the discussion of my car... LOL I have a couple other things that are bothering me.

1. The fog lights don't work. Replaced the bulbs, fuse is good, and the light on the dash turns on when the button is pressed. Sound like a relay?

2. When taking a hard turn, like out of a driveway, it feels funny in the front end. Almost like the car is pushing the tires. Ever been in a 4wd with the diffs locked and take a sharp turn? That's what it's like. The car drives fine otherwise, even taking sharp corners at 60. :D

3. Car is difficult to get into reverse. Sometimes 5th gear. In my old Rabbit, there was linkage adjustments that you could turn... Same deal here?

4. This may or may not be an issue.... When accelerating hard and speed shifting, the RPM's do not drop down quickly. For instance... I'm in second gear and rpm's at 4000. I let off the gas and press the clutch, the rpm's stay there for about 1 1/2 seconds. Is this normal? If you blip the throttle with the clutch in, the RPM's raise fast, and drop slow. I heard somewhere they made the cars do this to conserve on fuel and greenhouse gasses. Dunno. A performance car should drop the RPM's a little quicker.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Since we're on the discussion of my car... LOL I have a couple other things that are bothering me.

1. The fog lights don't work. Replaced the bulbs, fuse is good, and the light on the dash turns on when the button is pressed. Sound like a relay?

2. When taking a hard turn, like out of a driveway, it feels funny in the front end. Almost like the car is pushing the tires. Ever been in a 4wd with the diffs locked and take a sharp turn? That's what it's like. The car drives fine otherwise, even taking sharp corners at 60. :D

3. Car is difficult to get into reverse. Sometimes 5th gear. In my old Rabbit, there was linkage adjustments that you could turn... Same deal here?

4. This may or may not be an issue.... When accelerating hard and speed shifting, the RPM's do not drop down quickly. For instance... I'm in second gear and rpm's at 4000. I let off the gas and press the clutch, the rpm's stay there for about 1 1/2 seconds. Is this normal? If you blip the throttle with the clutch in, the RPM's raise fast, and drop slow. I heard somewhere they made the cars do this to conserve on fuel and greenhouse gasses. Dunno. A performance car should drop the RPM's a little quicker.
Hey Christen...yeah sounds like a relay or even a bad ground for the fog lights. They are notorious for having ground issues. The funny feeling in the front end is exactly what I had doing with my Black coupe...it was the stabilizer bushings and the upper strut mounts. If you do those you might aswell do all the bushings up front including control arms, ball joints and tie rods. Makes everything stiff again and lasts a long time. I did that and it handled great. Also did that to my red coupe. Ummm not to sure on the linkage adjustments on that one. Sounds almost like the your prob is in the shifter itself not the tranny. Does it grind at all when trying to put it in 5th or reverse? A Ha...the Rpm bug got you to eh? LOL. Take off the thottle body and clean the ever loving **** out if it with throttle body cleaner. Then put it back on without tightening the intake boot and start it and while the engine is running( now your going to have to maintain Rpm manually at the throttlebody and then start spraying the cleaner into the intake for about 20 seconds increasing throttle cause it's gonna want to stall out on you. You should see alot of black **** coming out the tail pipe...that's good cause your cleaning the carbon off everythingand it should after awhile give you that snap type throttle response you so want. That's what I did and it works like a charm. But I do it now every 5000kms to keep the engine nice and clean inside. And if that doesn't work after all that check to see if you have a stubborn Vac line that is cracked or disconnected and also inspect the intake boot itself. Known for tearing. Oh I almost forgot. I saw the OBDII set-up you showed me and take you pick all of those on the page should work fine. Esspecially the 2x2 units. Talk to you soon!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow thanks Greg!! Great info there. I'm gonna work on her this weekend.

No Grinding when going into 5th or reverse, I just have to kinda force it over a little. More so with reverse. It's like it hits the side stop and I have to fiddle to get reverse.

Where's the best place to buy the replacement bushings? I new at the newer Audi's. My old 1976 Audi Fox was pretty much all VW parts...LOL

Here's a pic of my first Audi.

Miss that car.

·
Registered
722 Posts
That car is fvckin sweet. Man they just don't make em like they used to. Ummm you should be able to find brand new bushings and all the front end trimmings at...let's see your in Oregon, I would say your best bet would be at this website autopartsaz.com That's where I got my rod and main bearings for my motor, and they have a ton of parts and I believe it's all audi/vw. If you can't find anything there...try the internet and ebay. Might get lucky. Let me know if you find what you need and if you don't I'll do some researching for ya. Cheers!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
.....at this website autopartsaz.com .
Sweet! I ordered parts for my Rabbit GTI there.

Thanks for the comment on the 76... I sure miss her. That had to be the most SOLID car (Had a little bit of rust) I ever owned... By solid, I mean tight. It drove like a brand new car. Only had 85,000 on the clock.

I still may be able to get it back. It's the first car my wife and I had and is very special. Sold it to a "Friend" that needed wheels, with the explicit instructions to sell it back to me when he got something else... Well he traded it in at the shadiest car lot in town. I was furious! I ran down there to buy it back, and while I was filling out the paperwork it goes driving off with the new owners.... AARGH!! Friggin car salesman.

Anyway... Sorry for the outburst.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Man that sucks. Believe me the outburst is justified. I would have killed that salesman. Here was my first car. My beloved 1965 Original mini. It had 10,361 miles on it when my father gave it to me for my 16th B-day. I drove that car 24 hours a day 7 days a week for the first 7 months. I loved this car. Solid, fun and handled like hell. Well as you can imagine here comes the bad news. Yup I lent it to my little brother to go to a car show up here in Toronto and it came back home on a flatbed tow truck in 2 pieces. I cried for days looking at it in the driveway. My bro was ok but I wanted to kill the drunk driver that hit him and his friend that fatefull night. Bastard!

Sorry for my outburst...LOL!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts