Audi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Noob to the forums her and an Audi noob as well, but I am a happy guy! I just bought a 2000 A6 Avant 2.8 and I really like it, it is silver in color and has 46,000 miles on it. It is really good to get back into a VAG car (I have owned several VWs in the past), I do have a boatload of questions about the car though;

What do I need to watch for and check out on this car?

The gear box is a bit clunky, coming to a stop and leaving from a stop, is this normal?

What is a good lowering kit for the car?

What is a good CAI to get, and what do I need to look out for in adding that mod (does it throw off any sensors etc?)

Are there any how-to sites for Audis?

I have never owned an AWD car before, what are the subtleties and quirks of it?

Is there a site that has a serial no. decoder?

Any recommendations on window tint places in Chicagoland area?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So OK, I guess no one on here knows the answers to these questions?

:eek:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well I'll do my best.
1)Normal stuff @ ~ 75K+miles. Timing belt, water pump,etc.... Don'tknow what size brakes you have up front but if they feel a little warped then they probably are. I've heard of rear cam seals going south on this motor and year. Look for oid from the rear of the motor.
2) I guess you have a Tiptronic. Mine gave me some isssues in the past that involved a rebuild. You may want to take yours in for a fluid check and VAG-COM rport.
3) Check out ECS tuning's website. They have a nice selection. I put a K&N replacement on my 4.2's stock box and it did throw off the MAF. You can get around this with software.
4) Audiforums has a pretty good knowledge base. Also may want to try VWvortex.
5) Quattro is great. You may notice some understeer at low speeds. If you have ESP, try turning it off when it snows and your in safe place. It's a blast.
6&7) Sorry friend, I'm not much help here. I have seen build codes on this site in the past but I don't know where they're at.
Enjoy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you tell me more about your gearbox? I think mine is acting kinda funny.....

Thanx!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a 5 speed Tip. My main issue was that the reverse clutch went south. You say yours is clunky. does it seem like it's not fully catching under some load conditions? This could be a software issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts