Audi Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

the glovebox latch has just snapped and i cant get into the glovebox!

the latch operates but it appears a connecting plastic arm has sheared, so it will not operate the release mechanism.

any ideas how to operate it without the latch? if not can it be removed in the 'shut' position?

really dont want to pay the dealer to fix....

many thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I've had the same problem on my A4. You can remove the plastic panel on the side of the glovebox (passenger door needs to be open), then you should be able to push your finger through a small square hole to release the catch plunger. I've managed to remove the latch and glue the broken arm back on. It works but I treat it gently! Good luck, Jon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
brilliant!

hey there!

the glovebox method worked! thank you so much for that advice.

ive now gotta try and glue the latch or buy another glovebox door!

oh well,

thanks very much for the advice much appreciated!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey, the same thing happened to my car. Is it a weakness with the model or summit. Really annoying cos the dealer will charge the earth to fix it and who's to say it won't happen again (smile)
The damn thing is locked and stays shut................I ain't got any gloves anyway. (laugh)

Another annoyance is the warning light that comes on when I start the car to say the rear number plate light does not work. I've changed the bulb, cleaned the contacts and there is nothing wrong with it. But every so often that warning noise comes on again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drummerboyjon said:
Hi, I've had the same problem on my A4. You can remove the plastic panel on the side of the glovebox (passenger door needs to be open), then you should be able to push your finger through a small square hole to release the catch plunger. I've managed to remove the latch and glue the broken arm back on. It works but I treat it gently! Good luck, Jon.
hey drummerboy,

how did you remove the catch? ive got Elsawin DVD with manuals but it takes like 4 hours just to install it!

is it easy to remove?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just to let anyone know who has same Issues, i fixed it myself for £19.75!

on Drummerboyjons' advice i removed the latch. I had to remove the glovebox via the 6 screws then undo the star-screw (special socket needed-halfords sell them) and undo the latch

you order it WITHOUT the lock barrel, you have to prise it out of the old one and insert into new latch assy.

replace glovebox and refit! very very simple task. SO glad I didnt pay audi to do it!

thanks for all the replies you've been very helpful!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are there any walkthrus of how to remove the mechanism. I dont want to make a mess of it as I have the same problem. Also I cannot open the glove box.

·
Registered
18 Posts

on Drummerboyjons' advice i removed the latch. I had to remove the glovebox via the 6 screws then undo the star-screw (special socket needed-halfords sell them) and undo the latch

you order it WITHOUT the lock barrel, you have to prise it out of the old one and insert into new latch assy.

replace glovebox and refit! very very simple task. SO glad I didnt pay audi to do it!

Where did you manage to purchase this latch from? I cannot find it anywhere and have now had this same glove box problem for months. Do not want to go to Audi.

Thanx!

·
Registered
2 Posts
were is the 6 screws i can not see them any one help with this matter

please where is the 6 screws that hold the glove box in place thank's all

·
Registered
13 Posts

First thanks to Drummerboy for posting. These albeit cyrpted instructions saved me. Drummerboy is the second smartest guy posting here.

To give back to the forum I'm posting I'm posting something that may help others. My glovebox would not open. Nothing appeared broken but the latch would not retract the tab. I used drummer's instruction to get it open and get my gloves out of the glovebox. Then I invented a temporary solution to allow it to open and close. Here it is

Once you have the slot that the tab inserts into accessible put a piece of duct tape over the slot with a little bit of slack. That allows the tab to go slightly into the slot, but doesn't let it fully engage in the slot. by pulling down on the latch it releases.

When I have time I'll do this one better and stuff a firm but pliable rubber piece into the slot to accomplish the same thing. Not sure how long the tape solution lasts as its only been a day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
a cheap (free) fix

Had the same problem with my 03 A4 cabriolet. The square hole is on the top left after you remove the side panel. You need a small finger or a screwdriver will work. This advice saved me a lot of hassle. Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
First thanks to Drummerboy for posting. These albeit cyrpted instructions saved me. Drummerboy is the second smartest guy posting here.

Then I invented a temporary solution to allow it to open and close. Here it is

Once you have the slot that the tab inserts into accessible put a piece of duct tape over the slot with a little bit of slack. That allows the tab to go slightly into the slot, but doesn't let it fully engage in the slot. by pulling down on the latch it releases.

When I have time I'll do this one better and stuff a firm but pliable rubber piece into the slot to accomplish the same thing. Not sure how long the tape solution lasts as its only been a day.

Update of 5 August.

The tab on my passenger door side is the broken one. The side toward the center console works.

As you may have suspected the duct tape solution didn't survive the test of time. As it lost its stick the tab fully engaged the latch again. So I did my "pliable material solution " and it is working and should have much longer results. I used a 1" piece of an eraser that fit nicely braced by the frame that holds the passenger side glove box area cover (the thing you pry off in Drummerboys instructions). This looks like a promising long term fix. It locks, closes and does not fall open while driving. Good luck to anyone trying this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I fixed my latch mechanism...for almost free...

My latch mechanism inside the glove-box door stopped working the passenger-side latch. If anyone wants pictures and instructions I'd be happy to e-mail them since I'm not sure how to post pictures here.

I took pictures and made a 3-d model of what's in the latch mechanism for reference.

Gene

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Gene,

I am the same problem of you! :(
Your proposition of pictures and instructions is a good help for me.
Could you send me this help by e-mail?

Thank you before.

Chris

·
Registered
1 Posts
latch broke on mine after detaching plunger at side of glove box went to bunnings and bought piece of alluminium 15mm and formed a 35 degree angle that screwed on to plastic hinge also glued at same time works a treat
paint black and you don`t see it
ps if u want to reattach plunger recomend pulling apart and cutting back rubber plunger i personally did`nt bother hinge is strong enought if u don`t fall on it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts