Audi Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all-
Thanks to my soon-to-be-ex-wife, I'm looking for a new used car. I have a 2001 Porsche Boxster S, which is great but I'm looking for something a little more utlilitarian as a daily driver, with some character. I had a Volvo wagon which she took, and before that a LandCruiser which I liked, but doesn't fit the bill anymore. I'm zoning in on an Audi A4 or A6 Wagon. I see lots of info for the sedans but not much info for the wagons, although I'd imagine differences would be negligible other than body style and performance.

So what I'd like to ask is this: If you had around $17,000 (lawyers and court are expensive, you know) to spend on a wagon, what would you get and why? Or at least what would you recommend? I don't plan on modding it, don't need the handling or acceleration of the Porsche, but just want a reliable hauler that can get up some hills without breathing hard. I also like the relative luxuriousness of the Audis-leather is a must and decent fit and finish. AWD isn't a necessity where I live(Asheville, NC) especially if the $ difference could be applied elsewhere. Sadly, I feel like I'm describing a nice grocery getter with some performace.

What would be a good year/model to look at with that critria?
Obviously 17k is going to buy some mileage. I've seen a few 2001 A4's and even an A6(whose mileage is uncomfortably high for me) that look great but I just don't know what I'm looking at yet with the avants, quattros, different engnes, etc...

Any help and direction/suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Thanks-
Michael

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did that first. There aren't any within 100 miles of me, which is further than I have time to be test driving different cars. I'm just trying to narrow it down between options and models and see what owners had to say. I wasn't looking to be told what to buy, just people's opinions and experiences with Audi wagons with regards to what I'm looking for and what to avoid/look for. Do some years have certain problems like RMS leaks, or is it worth it to bump up from th 1.8L, is there a sport suspension package available that is worth looking into, would AWD be a waste on NC roads, and so on.
If you say to go drive different models, there must be a noticeable difference-like what? Just power/torque or more subtle distinctions?
I haven't been able to find one, but does anyone know of a website that maps out the options/MY differences etc...?
Sorry for the ?'s, but thanks for the help!
Michael

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)

I would say if you want a fair bit of interior luxury go for a 2002-2005 B6 model Avant . In terms of engine power the 1.8T is perfectly adequate to pull well up hills. The B5 model interior is not as nice in my opinion ...

You can get it in sport or SE version with sport having stiiffer suspension set up and slighly lower to the ground + electric lumber supports on the seats..

SE has better standard equipment - More information displayed on the DIS (Drivers imformation Display) like outside temp/trip computer/ crusise control etc but the suspension is softer and ride height higher making it a bit smoother over bumpy roads in my opinion...

If you go for the 1.8T check to see if the oil has been changed reguarly as they can be prone to oil sludge build up and like any car if its been serviced according to manufacturer intervals you should be ok ...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts