Audi Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Ive recently bought a 1995 Audi Coupe 2.0E and love it. Yesterday as I was driving I went upto 5000 revs in second gear and changed to third. I went to 6000 revs in third and as I tried to change gear it wouldnt come out of third which meant I had to park in a lay-by. When the engine is turned of the gear lever moves freely but as soon as I start it it ont go into any gear unless i put it in gear before I start it but it will not change gear. It will drive but only in one gear.
Please help tell me what this propblem could be.

Many thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
It sounds like the clutch is not disengaging completely as you can engage gears with the engine off. Does the clutch drag when you start the engine with the car in gear?

You may have a leak in the hydraulics of the clutch, have you checked the fluid level and around the master cylinder and slave cylinder for signs of leakage?

Good luck

Keith

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same problem with my audi 80. First The clutch master cylinder needed to be rebuilt, and then when I had the hydraulics working fine, the throwout bearing went bad. Try starting the car in gear, if it moves, its a problem with the clutch not disengaging properly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts