Audi Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
you have any pics of the installation procedure?
Im planning to install the same unit in my car but im a little nervous.
So maybe you could help me out. =) How long did it take?
did you do the installation or some pro?

//per

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kesperse said:
you have any pics of the installation procedure?
Im planning to install the same unit in my car but im a little nervous.
So maybe you could help me out. =) How long did it take?
did you do the installation or some pro?

//per
Here are some more pics.. I did the install myself. It was extremely simple. It took about and hour just because I had to figure out where I wanted everything. as you can see My IpoD is in the center console and the other stuff it in the glove box.I have changed to one of the newer Black Ipods because it works with the system better.The kit comes with pretty good instructions, althouh there is another document that tells you how to program the MMI to display song titles correctly. I have that document also if you need it.
oterwise, herer is the CD adaptation pics. I hid the interface under the passenger footwell between the changer and the glove box. this was a good locations so that all of my cables fit from the different directions.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also have in-dash cd changer in my 2 days old q7. your pictures are great thanks a lot.
how did you connect everything? do you have detailed diagram? can be video played from the ipod on the MMI screen?
Also, i see you connected phone as well is it just for charging popuses?
and last do you familiar how to enable/install bluetooth feature in 3.6 prem. I have a button "phone" in my q7 and of course is not working because i didn't get a package with bluetooth. can you please help?
thanks so mach

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
audi4man said:
I also have in-dash cd changer in my 2 days old q7. your pictures are great thanks a lot.
how did you connect everything? do you have detailed diagram?
Also, i see you connected phone as well is it just for charging popuses?
and last do you familiar how to enable/install bluetooth feature in 3.6 prem. I have a button "phone" in my q7 and of course is not working because i didn't get package with bluetooth. can you please help?
thanks so mach
I just used the instructions that were provided which you will get when you buy the kit. It was very simple. As you can see the only connection to the actual Car system were the two orange MOST cables at the changer as I illustrated.Everythinng else just went to the box itself except for finding a power source for the Interface.

Yes, my phone charger is hardwired for convienance.

The Bluetooth feature is part of the Infotainment Package which includes Nav, Bluetooth, and sirius radio. I do not know of an aftermarket solution if you don't have the factory package you have to see if it can be installed by the dealer after sale.

Which options do you have?

·
Registered
9 Posts
My07Q7 said:
I just used the instructions that were provided which you will get when you buy the kit. It was very simple. As you can see the only connection to the actual Car system were the two orange MOST cables at the changer as I illustrated.Everythinng else just went to the box itself except for finding a power source for the Interface.

Yes, my phone charger is hardwired for convienance.

The Bluetooth feature is part of the Infotainment Package which includes Nav, Bluetooth, and sirius radio. I do not know of an aftermarket solution if you don't have the factory package you have to see if it can be installed by the dealer after sale.

Which options do you have?
Thanks for your quick replay.
yeah it looks like it's simple to install. I wasn't sure if it will work with in-dash cd changer until I found your pictures. their pictures show only glove compartment cd changer. I guess it works with both changers.

Oh by the way ...I have video 80GB IPOD. can video be played from the IPOD on the MMI screen?
Did you get all reqired cables/whires with the gateway or ipod cable should be purchased separate?

I didn't get infoteinment package. I didn't need nav and sirius radio. I only needed bluetooth and I didn't want to spend $2800 just for the bluetooth.
You are right maybe I should ask dealer and see if they have some kind of bluetooth box which can be connected somewhere like a gateway 500.

I only got 2 packages sunroof and 20" wheels.
I noticed strange thing why I have extra buttons on my pannel like: nav, phone, and some kind of antenna on the roof (in the back) is it for feature upgrades you think? is that antenna for the nav system?
thanks man

P.S. (are you from US?)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
audi4man said:
Thanks for your quick replay.
yeah it looks like it's simple to install. I wasn't sure if it will work with in-dash cd changer until I found your pictures. their pictures show only glove compartment cd changer. I guess it works with both changers.

Oh by the way ...I have video 80GB IPOD. can video be played from the IPOD on the MMI screen?
Did you get all reqired cables/whires with the gateway or ipod cable should be purchased separate?

I didn't get infoteinment package. I didn't need nav and sirius radio. I only needed bluetooth and I didn't want to spend $2800 just for the bluetooth.
You are right maybe I should ask dealer and see if they have some kind of bluetooth box which can be connected somewhere like a gateway 500.

I only got 2 packages sunroof and 20" wheels.
I noticed strange thing why I have extra buttons on my pannel like: nav, phone, and some kind of antenna on the roof (in the back) is it for feature upgrades you think? is that antenna for the nav system?
thanks man

P.S. (are you from US?)
The GAteway has a video out for the Ipod video, but in order to be able to see it on your MMI, you have to have your MMi capable or receiving external video. There is a kit I found somewhere that does it. It;s ike 500 bucks. I'll find it again and post the link. It looks pretty good though.
All of the cables come with the Gateway that you need to make it work. The USB and the external Audio in all work great.
You have extra buttons because that's the standard configuration for all of the Q7 radios. All of the Modues like Nav, and bluetooth, are plugged in and programmed. That's one of the great advantages of the MOST ( Media Oriented Sound Transport ) network that these cars com equipped with.That goes for the GPS antenna on the back also. I think these cars come prewired for everything. You just have to get the mosudes and hook them up. I've seen the SAT modules for sale but I haven't seen any bluetooth yet. YOu should check on EBAY as the A8 uses the same configuration so there might be components out there.
Most of the Dealers I have talked to don't know ANY technical loops about these cars so I gave up on them. Hopefully someody will be able to get the inside scoop on what you can get from Audi direct and DIY it.
I live and play in Austin Texas.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
greymonster said:
Have you lost the use of the CD changer? One dealer here told me I would, one was not sure, and one saild it would work fine....
No you still have full use of the cd changer

·
Registered
9 Posts
My07Q7 said:
The GAteway has a video out for the Ipod video, but in order to be able to see it on your MMI, you have to have your MMi capable or receiving external video. There is a kit I found somewhere that does it. It;s ike 500 bucks. I'll find it again and post the link. It looks pretty good though.
All of the cables come with the Gateway that you need to make it work. The USB and the external Audio in all work great.
You have extra buttons because that's the standard configuration for all of the Q7 radios. All of the Modues like Nav, and bluetooth, are plugged in and programmed. That's one of the great advantages of the MOST ( Media Oriented Sound Transport ) network that these cars com equipped with.That goes for the GPS antenna on the back also. I think these cars come prewired for everything. You just have to get the mosudes and hook them up. I've seen the SAT modules for sale but I haven't seen any bluetooth yet. YOu should check on EBAY as the A8 uses the same configuration so there might be components out there.
Most of the Dealers I have talked to don't know ANY technical loops about these cars so I gave up on them. Hopefully someody will be able to get the inside scoop on what you can get from Audi direct and DIY it.
I live and play in Austin Texas.

we are naighbors. I play in NY :)
yep there is one more box/interface has to be purchased to play video :(

regarding bluetooth here is what i found eBay Italia: KIT COMPLETO BLUETOOTH Audi A6 A8 Q7 MMI Infotainment (oggetto 130054187138 scade il 30-Dic-06 23:04:15 CET)

unfortunately it's in Italy. I was unable to find anything in USA

where did you order your Gateway from?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
audi4man said:
we are naighbors. I play in NY :)
yep there is one more box/interface has to be purchased to play video :(

regarding bluetooth here is what i found eBay Italia: KIT COMPLETO BLUETOOTH Audi A6 A8 Q7 MMI Infotainment (oggetto 130054187138 scade il 30-Dic-06 23:04:15 CET)

unfortunately it's in Italy. I was unable to find anything in USA

where did you order your Gateway from?
THat's a cool deal except the price!!! 850 bucks WOW. I gues it's lass than adding a full phone kit..I think since the Q7 has already been out in eurpoe a year ago,there will be a lot more things to find abroad than in the states. As long as they have a positive feedback,, and take PAYpal, it doesn;t matter to me where they are at. If it's on Neptune, and they ship to the US I'm likely to buy it if I want it. THere is sooo much available outside the US.
Speaking of which, the is where I got my gateway 500.

Gateway & iceLink - iPod im Auto - natuerlich mit CarKits vom DENSION-Distributor maxxcount.de!

If i keep the car, I am going to get the adapter that allows for video playback via the mmi screen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My07Q7 said:
THat's a cool deal except the price!!! 850 bucks WOW. I gues it's lass than adding a full phone kit..I think since the Q7 has already been out in eurpoe a year ago,there will be a lot more things to find abroad than in the states. As long as they have a positive feedback,, and take PAYpal, it doesn;t matter to me where they are at. If it's on Neptune, and they ship to the US I'm likely to buy it if I want it. THere is sooo much available outside the US.
Speaking of which, the is where I got my gateway 500.

Gateway & iceLink - iPod im Auto - natuerlich mit CarKits vom DENSION-Distributor maxxcount.de!

If i keep the car, I am going to get the adapter that allows for video playback via the mmi screen.
yeah it's to expencieve but defenetly cheaper than paying for the Infotainment package. (in my case)
today i spoke with dealer/parts and they told me that it"s not available from dealer and I should try best buy and see if they can install it.???? I'm not sure if they know what they are talking about

by the way the ipod addaptor is available from dealer. It's $290. may be I should get it from them instead? and tool to remove cd changer

agree regarding video playback coment.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
audi4man said:
yeah it's to expencieve but defenetly cheaper than paying for the Infotainment package. (in my case)
today i spoke with dealer/parts and they told me that it"s not available from dealer and I should try best buy and see if they can install it.???? I'm not sure if they know what they are talking about

by the way the ipod addaptor is available from dealer. It's $290. may be I should get it from them instead? and tool to remove cd changer

agree regarding video playback coment.

Thanks again for your help.
The dealer told you to get best buy to install a factory Module?? How stupid!! That just goes to show you the level of intelligence these US dealers have about the **** they sell...
THere are only 2 Q7 "qualified" techs at my local dealer and I think I know more about this car than they do. I kinda have a problem with that. because I don't like having my cars worked on by inexperienced people.If I had known this before purchase, I would have went back to Mercedes. I don't like leaving my car extended periods of time because the 1 guy who knows about it is swamped. That's happened to me twice. But since the brand is new, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and hope they don't screw something up.

Be sure the Dealer actually has the Ipod kit in stock. I talked to the GM at my local shop today and he said that this Audi kit is only available as a factory install. He was actually asking me how to aquire kits from the place I got mine.

The CD removal key is standard for Audi Mercedes and VW. So you can get it on EBAY. I paid 20 bucks for my keys at the dealer and they took a week to get them in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ordered an Ipod kit with the Q7 which was in dealer stock But when it came the time for collection I was told Ipod interface was not going to be available as a retrofit until Q2. I was very unhappy as I use my Ipod in my car all the time.. Eventually I agreed to having a Gateway 500 installed at the dealers expense.. There does seem to be a lack of product knowledge. Has anyone else noticed that on http://www.audiaccessories.co.uk/ there is no reference to the Q7 yet, I thought I read somewhere that this was Audi's most important product launch to date!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
greymonster said:
I ordered an Ipod kit with the Q7 which was in dealer stock But when it came the time for collection I was told Ipod interface was not going to be available as a retrofit until Q2. I was very unhappy as I use my Ipod in my car all the time.. Eventually I agreed to having a Gateway 500 installed at the dealers expense.. There does seem to be a lack of product knowledge. Has anyone else noticed that on http://www.audiaccessories.co.uk/ there is no reference to the Q7 yet, I thought I read somewhere that this was Audi's most important product launch to date!
What's even funnier is Audi has launched this big azz ad campaign announcing the IPOd for their Cars like the on being displayed on this forum, and they are not even available...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, i'm just about to fit a Gateway 500 in my Q7,l and was interested to read that you some documents relating to programming the MMI to show the song titles. Could you let me have the doc as i'm sure there is nothing mentioned in the instructions i have from gateway.
Thanks
John

·
Registered
6 Posts
Very long story but I still dont have a unit fitted, I opted to have mine installed and am very glad I did. The unit was fitted and at first apeared to be ok, the only problem being that the cd's interlaced with the ipod titles. The next day the mmi went into component protection mode (The unit goes off after 2 seconds and then switches back on). Took it to the Audi dealership who saild it was the Gateway, Installer came with another unit which did the same. It appears very simple he broke into the fiber ring at the cd player. Then he extended the ring with two tails. He conected 12v and ground and then connected in the control cable. He end up taking the Gateway out and taking it back to the dealership who eventually diagnosed the bluetooth ecu as the problem. They still maintain that they think it was the Gateway that took it out! I still dont have Bluetooth working correctly as it was before I had the Gateway fitted again they said it was my phone a Sony Ericson, I pointed out that it did work fine. They eventually decided that it need some new software that is not yet available and is still not available to order. So no Gateway and No Bluetooth. My installer think there might be a problem with the newer Q7 were the software has changed to accomodate the Media button. So sorry no i dont have any instructions and my advice is becareful.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
greymonster said:
Very long story but I still dont have a unit fitted, I opted to have mine installed and am very glad I did. The unit was fitted and at first apeared to be ok, the only problem being that the cd's interlaced with the ipod titles. The next day the mmi went into component protection mode (The unit goes off after 2 seconds and then switches back on). Took it to the Audi dealership who saild it was the Gateway, Installer came with another unit which did the same. It appears very simple he broke into the fiber ring at the cd player. Then he extended the ring with two tails. He conected 12v and ground and then connected in the control cable. He end up taking the Gateway out and taking it back to the dealership who eventually diagnosed the bluetooth ecu as the problem. They still maintain that they think it was the Gateway that took it out! I still dont have Bluetooth working correctly as it was before I had the Gateway fitted again they said it was my phone a Sony Ericson, I pointed out that it did work fine. They eventually decided that it need some new software that is not yet available and is still not available to order. So no Gateway and No Bluetooth. My installer think there might be a problem with the newer Q7 were the software has changed to accomodate the Media button. So sorry no i dont have any instructions and my advice is becareful.
It sounds to me like your Dealer is the problem.Judging by what you wrote they dont know what they are doing and are just making random guesses at what your problem is. Anyone can do that. ut who is the victim here? you.

BTW.

I had the dealer buyback on my AUDI because I got tired of it being in the shop and No one there knew how to fix it. PITIFUL.... So I no longer own a Q7, and I was so sickened buy this experience, I opted not to get into another AUDI vehicle at the moment.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts