Audi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 cabriolet. It has a gasoline odor that comes and goes . I first noticed it in trunk area near right panel. I had my mechanic check out everything. he pulled out the seats in back and opened up view from trunk to inspect fuel pump for leak ,found nothing. Before I actually take it to Audi has any one had a similar situation?
Thanks for any input

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem with my 1998 Cabriolet. It has 29,000 miles on it (yes). There is a gasoline odor when I leave the car with the windows up. Two dealers in different states looked and found no observable problem. The first dealer told me that the gas odor problem is was fairly common with these cars. Luckily, the car is garaged, so I can leave the windows down.

A fellow on another forum suggested pulling the rear seats and checking the seals on the fuel pump and such. I'm not much of of a fixer-upper, so I assume the dealer made that particular check. I'll check it too, just haven't taken the time yet.

Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Audi had the same problem. I found that the odor was actually coming from the gas cap. Pressure would build and the cap would let it out, but the smell would go in the car. Got a better cap and the problem was gone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
THANKS for the clue! I will try it. Next question. The cap is what I assume is original. Did you get your replacement cap from the Audi dealer?

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts