Audi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2002 Allroad for ~ six months and love it, but I've got a question for my fellow Allroaders.

When traveling at virtually any speed, if I go over a moderately rough manhole cover or pothole, my Allroad steps to the side when the rear wheels travel over the bump. The right rear seems to step to the side more so than the left rear.

I took the car to the dealer today and they inspected the car and said there could be a couple different causes. Are you ready for this?

1) The tires are worn and slightly cupped on all four, according to the dealer.
2) The rear rotors are slightly warped, according to the dealer.

Now, I know a little about cars, including suspension and brakes and I'm having a hard time accepting their reasoning. The inspection found nothing, but a CV boot that has a crack in it, again according to the dealer.

I don't have a problem purchasing a new set of tires and/or replacing the rotors if warped or worn, but I can't believe this is going to correct my problem.

I'm ready and waiting for your expertise. I've posted this in a couple forums, so you may be re-reading this.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you have those oem pirrelli allroad tires on..anything is possible...
I finally replaced mine..and it is like a new car..
put on bridgestone turanza ls-v's...highly rated (tirerack.com)
brake roters?.possibly..but those oem tires are the worst
good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I've heard the same thing about the OEM Pirelli's. Actually, I have Michelin's on their now. They're not even close to the wear bars yet. The rotor explanation was one of the dumbest things I've heard in a long time.

I had a mechanic (non-Audi) drive it yesterday and he found no issues. He said that air suspension cars can behave like that. Prior to this car, I was driving either late model M3's or Mini 'S's, so go figure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have had the same problem for 40k miles, and have been unable to figure out the cause. when i go over any repetetive jarring bumps or truck ruts, the rear of the car will bounce off track. this can be quite unsettling at highway speed, and there are a lot of rough roads around nyc's highways. the shocks and airbags seem to be functioning properly, and i believe the shocks/struts bolt right to the frame without any bushing or bearing, so that can't be a factor... it doesn't matter which tires are on the car... even brand new ones. is there anyone else who has the same feeling with the car, or perhaps knowledge of any potential wear of the bushings or bearings in the suspension that may be a factor in this problem? the dealer can't recreate the condition, and they think i'm crazy... i don't think that it is a problem with the air ride, but if i can't fix it i'm gonna be tempted to get another car... it's that annoying.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts