Audi Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
mactwan, I've sent you a PM, but had another thought. The 90hp 1Z should do 54mpg at 60mph, and the 75hp AAZ 43mpg. My AAZ only did about 30-33 mpg until I ran some fuel injector cleaner though it. I'd give that a try, and see if it gets any better to start with.
Have you noticed any power loss or other symptoms, or is it just the fuel consumption?
Cheers,
Tom

P.S Mine on 155,000 miles, so yours should be good for a while yet :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yup, changing the fuel filter never hurts. I'm pretty sure yours is a 1Z engine btw from those photos. The fuel pipe arrangement matches that in the parts database.
Good luck,
Tom

·
Registered
39 Posts
Originally posted by mactwan@Feb 21 2006, 12:40 AM
i have found that it is in fact an AAZ engine. just found my mislaid registration document which has revealed the engine code. alas this means there is no haynes manual covering this code :( is the 1z engine similar enough to be of use to sorting out an AAZ engine? if you were mistaken between AAZ and 1Z then i take it they are fairly similar
I'm afrraid that they're pretty different in most repects, different oil filters, glow plugs, fuel lines, fuel pumps, although the turbo is the same. Give me a shout if you need any part numbers for the AAZ engine though as I have a friend who works for VW and can get the numbers from their parts database.
My mechanic friend suggested the first thing he'd check would be the air filter as that could knacker your fuel consumption. Unfortunately the AAZ manages about a maximum of 40mpg on steady motorway/dual carriageway driving, so just over 30 may be about right for around town.
Cheers,
Tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts