Audi Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1993 audi 80 1.9 TDI and it seems to be a bit heavy on fuel doing around 30 mpg. its done 133 000 miles, but seems to be in reasonable shape. is 30 mpg a normal fuel consumption for this car?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
someone out there must have some knowledge on the subject of fuel consumption of an audi 80 1.9 TDI

·
Registered
39 Posts
mactwan, I've sent you a PM, but had another thought. The 90hp 1Z should do 54mpg at 60mph, and the 75hp AAZ 43mpg. My AAZ only did about 30-33 mpg until I ran some fuel injector cleaner though it. I'd give that a try, and see if it gets any better to start with.
Have you noticed any power loss or other symptoms, or is it just the fuel consumption?
Cheers,
Tom

P.S Mine on 155,000 miles, so yours should be good for a while yet :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i've tried putting some cleaner through it, but didn't make a big difference. i suppose changing oil and air filters is next thing to try.... theres a growing list of niggles. none particularly serious (i hope) oil light stays on for a few seconds after starting up. rear door scrapes against drivers door. and others. a slightly groaning suspension and aclunky noise when breaking sharply or accelerating from slow round a sharp corner I'm still enjoying the audi mind. although the audi 80 obviously is not the top end of the range, it still has the feeling of audi class about it. stylish interior, attractive shape, and generally solid ride other than aforementioned niggles

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yup, changing the fuel filter never hurts. I'm pretty sure yours is a 1Z engine btw from those photos. The fuel pipe arrangement matches that in the parts database.
Good luck,
Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have found that it is in fact an AAZ engine. just found my mislaid registration document which has revealed the engine code. alas this means there is no haynes manual covering this code :( is the 1z engine similar enough to be of use to sorting out an AAZ engine? if you were mistaken between AAZ and 1Z then i take it they are fairly similar

·
Registered
144 Posts
Regarding your fuel consumption... try checking the injection timing. If it's too early or too advanced, you may experience lack of power and high consumption.

I don't know if you can check the timing via vag-com, maybe the car's too old, but I'm sure somebody at Ross-Tech knows better. Vag-com has a very nice plugin for checking the timing on TDI engines.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Originally posted by mactwan@Feb 21 2006, 12:40 AM
i have found that it is in fact an AAZ engine. just found my mislaid registration document which has revealed the engine code. alas this means there is no haynes manual covering this code :( is the 1z engine similar enough to be of use to sorting out an AAZ engine? if you were mistaken between AAZ and 1Z then i take it they are fairly similar
I'm afrraid that they're pretty different in most repects, different oil filters, glow plugs, fuel lines, fuel pumps, although the turbo is the same. Give me a shout if you need any part numbers for the AAZ engine though as I have a friend who works for VW and can get the numbers from their parts database.
My mechanic friend suggested the first thing he'd check would be the air filter as that could knacker your fuel consumption. Unfortunately the AAZ manages about a maximum of 40mpg on steady motorway/dual carriageway driving, so just over 30 may be about right for around town.
Cheers,
Tom

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello,

I have A 1993 AUDI 80 TDI, which was only doing about 32/33 mpg.

The performance wasn't good either. I found the problem to be a leak in the rubber pipe just before the inlet manifold, and was therefor running a non turbocharged engine. I would suggest looking at everything to do with the turbo.

Secondly, check that the cambelt tensioner is working correctly, as this can affect the cam timing quite considerably.

If you need to discuss thing futher email me "[email protected]"

David

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a 1993 80 tdi doing 32/33mpg.

Firstly check the rubber pipe conected to the inlet manifold. If this is leaking, then you are effectivley running a non turbocharged engine.

Secondly check the cam belt tensioner is working correctly, as this can affect the camshaft timing quite dramatically.

Thirdly check non of the brakes are sticking on.

Don't laugh my car had all 3 problems, and is now doing a minimum of 45 mpg.

If you want to talk some more please email me directly "[email protected]"

All the best David

1 - 10 of 10 Posts