Audi Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna lower my car a touch more cos i reckon it would look better lower. I'm looking at a set of FK automotive budget coilovers was wondering if anyone knows if there any good? And if lowering 65mm on 18s will cause any problems?

·
Registered
195 Posts
A 65mm drop (about 2.5") will cause a problem with any tire size larger than stock. If you are using an 18" wheel (probably by 8" wide) and a 40 series tire - size 225/40-18 then the cross section of the tire is almost an inch wider, and the edge of the tire is going to rub somewhere.

With the coilovers, you can adjust your height until you have clearance and still be as low as possible given any tire/wheel combination. That's the beauty of a coilover adjustable setup.

Good luck.

VB

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool thanks for that and it is a 225/40/18 but as you say i can always adjust it. Do you know what the ride is like with coilovers? Im running just uprated springs now an its a bit choppy. Was hoping it might be a better ride

·
Registered
195 Posts
If you use the coilovers, then you can use any spring rate you want and still adjust the height the way you want - independent of the spring rate.

With such a small sidewall, you are not getting any additional flex or "softness" to cushion the ride. It's like using higher rate springs, so you may want to go with a lower rate spring - along the lines of the Stock Audi Sport Suspension. A good reseller (who you buy the coilovers from) can tell you what rate that would be.

VB

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How about if the coilovers aren't spring rate adjustable. Will the ride be bad?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Most tuners that sell coilovers should have several spring rates for you to choose from. Ask them what would be equivalent to a stock rate, sport rate, and then higher rates. Make you choice from that. In my opinion, you could get a spring rate that is too high and end up with a very harsh ride (what you may call choppy). That is a matter of personal preference. I have had a full factory race suspension in a Datsun 510 that I drove daily on the street and I loved it; however, many "normal" people hated to ride in my car.

Worst case scenario is you buy a set of springs and then have to change them. You can still get whatever ride height you want.

Good luck,

VB

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, im gonna go for it. Just need to save some cash now. Thanks. :liebe011:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts