Audi Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to every1. New to this forum. I am picking up a 1999 A6 Avant 2.4 Auto next week. Dealer has advised that the information display (the one that gives you temp, mileage left etc.) fades when the car is warm. Is this a common problem or is there a fix for this? Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I actually have this same problem on my 2002 A6, which is under warranty. I reported the problem to the dealership upon service and they noted in their report that there indeed was pixel fade. The service tech said it's particularly a problem when the car is hot. I asked if this was a common problem and he responded no, but I find it odd that he would know this problem occurs when the car is hot, yet in the same breath says this is not a common problem.

At any rate, I asked if the instrument panel is covered by warranty, he said yes, but then said they would not replace it because it was still functional and not completely damaged. This left me highly disgruntled. Since then the fade has worsened, but is technically "functional." Does anyone know how to get them to fix this?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Your tech is full of #$%&@. This is a common problem with Audis (inluding mine). Common enough that Audi has issued a technical bulletin regarding the issue. It is very, very hard to get them to replace it on warranty due to the costs involved. Personally, I think Audi has really fallen on their face on this one with their reluctance to recognise what seems to be a widespread problem. I think for a car (A4, A6) that costs anywhere between CDA$40K-$70K they should support their product a lot better than this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had mine replaced under the extended warranty on my 2002 4.2. The dealership did not question it and told me it would have cost over $1000 if I didn't have the warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just purchased a 99.5 A4 and began to get very frusturated when I watched the console fade before my eyes.

Sadly it doesn't sound as if there is a solution to this problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is a solution. It costs thousands of dollars, which is why I'm guessing Audi doesn't want to cover it through warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not completely sure this will work....

I herd on another forum that if you do a hard reset with the Vag-Com it will fix the issue with the display

Mine to is giving me some problems....my friend has Vag-Com so im gonna see if it works(after I figure out how to do reset...my friend was oblivious when i asked him)

·
Registered
7 Posts
fasing display

did the reset work for you?/

try having a bad display on a A6 with the hard to find Navigation system, which also uses the crappy display. go figure. everyone has a normal nav, but Audi decides to integrate the NAV in the center info display.

there are places that repair these units. anyone aware if the Audi displays are repairable?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts