Audi Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Afraid to say this but yes, surprise surprise... I'm one of these new members asking for advice! So if theres any people with a spare few mins available PLEASE HELP!

2 questions

I'm currently looking into purchasing either an Audi A3 1.8 T or the 1.8 T Quattro (1999 - 2003)... trouble is I can't get hold of back catalogued brochures to show the available models and specs.

So question numero uno - Does anyone happen to know a sweet site that lists this required information available?

I've looked around but come to dead ends, dealerships in my area (Bristol/ Bath) don't have any - they suggested I try ebay but I can't find any. I've also contacted Audi customer services and no joy.

And onto N#2 - Are there any Audi nuts out there able to pass on any relivent information, faults or advice to help side step the concerns a number of the new buyer threads mention?

I love the car but not enough to simply jump in blind and find out I need some major work done soon afterwards.

Anyways thats enough from me, any help would be very much appreciated... Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Hi ceetaji .welcome to the forum.The a3 1.8t from 1999-2003 has the 150 bhp engine and the quattro has 180 bhp.Obviously the quattro is better.As regards to spec they pretty much all come as standard on the turbo model with sport spec(sports suspension /seats/e windows/fog lights/e sunroof or climate control/16" turbo alloys/rc locking with alarm/6 speaker stereo(including built in subwoofer hidden behind panel in back quarter.Anything else like leather/cruise control/larger alloys are optional extras.
As long as you buy one that has been serviced reguarly/cam belt changed etc the car will do many miles trouble free.
My 1.8 t is 1997 R and has done 142000 miles with full service history and since ive owned it for last 2 years all i had to replace was the windscreen wiper mechanism which had seized up.The engine ,turbo and gearbox are all original and are running sweet.Hope this info helps you a little and good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding t-sport, much appreciated!

I knew a bit about the specs from looking at parkers, autotraders and just about any other site I could find so fortunatly I already knew the specification information you passed on. Sorry if the message was ambiguous!

I was more after information like; is the 4x4 on the quattro able to be disingaged etc or is it perminant 4x4, just really trying to compare the two and choose the best suited (running costs - tyre wear etc). However you hit on exactly the type of advice I was after regarding the cam belt, (possible trouble spots I know to look out for when I go to view them with my mechanic mate).

Its also reasuring to hear it from someone who actually owns one that they've had no problems, especially as your mileage is high, so thanks for that mate you've helped set my mind at rest.

Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello mate!
There is a known problem with the gearbox of the A3 which is the same as the GolfIV the lid is held together with fixed metal rods which are bound to break because of vibration etc and fall into the transmission. It happened to me and the bill came up to a couple of grand. In order to rectify this problem, Audi has a set of nuts and bolts for the gearbox lid which will cost you around 100 quid to buy and fit if the previous owner hasn't done that already.

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Ive never heard of this gearbox problem andreas76 nor have seen it mentioned on any threads in the forum.My gearbox is original and still strong -no crunching or bad synchro or anything like that so hopefully nothing will happen to mine like yours did.
Ceetaji the quattro is permanent 4 wd and will handle better than the front wd version but you are correct it will be more heavy on tyre wear and petrol as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Believe me this was a fairly common problem until late 1999 in Golf IV and A3's. It was virtually impossible to find a used gearbox because of this. I don't know if the UK models had nuts and bolts from the beggining (I bought mine in Germany).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Andreas76 said:
Believe me this was a fairly common problem until late 1999 in Golf IV and A3's. It was virtually impossible to find a used gearbox because of this. I don't know if the UK models had nuts and bolts from the beggining (I bought mine in Germany).
So, anyone else had this problem or heard of this? Or in fact know if UK models came with nuts and bolts as standard?

ta

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok cool, cheers t-sport, shame you can't alternate between 4x4 and 2 wheel drive in the quattro, I was under the impression that its common for 4x4s to have this capability, but hey its about compromise, so if I get noticably improved handling then the extra cost should be worth it, or is there minimal differentiation and its more to do with the 'snob value' of having the quattor badge due to the rally heritage?

Appreciated for your pointer Andreas76, my list of faults is still pretty pathetic though so I'm not being put off in the slightest. Dare I say it but keep'em coming if anyone else knows of any faults to keep an eye out for... Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
The quattro is simply a more powerful engine paired with 4 wheel drive for even better handling,cost you more on insurance though. So if you drive hard. What a package,if not stick with the cheaper option.
Just one step down from the S3 which is the ultimate A3 for that year of car.
I have the brochures you want bought it from ebay not a great deal of info in them just lots of pretty pics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its all about the pretty pics Stannary :)

Been checking out insurance quotes between the 1.8T and 1.8T Quattro, not a great deal between them, so it comes down to the long term running costs. No doubt in the future I'll be upping the power by chipping it to get the performance of an S3, so to have the power put down at all 4 corners would be ideal.

Anyways cheers for the info

1 - 10 of 10 Posts