Audi Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! Just wondering what would be the best size for my custom piping for my exhaust? I have a 97 A4 1.8T FWD and I just bought a remus universal muffler with a Magnaflow carsound High flow cat. My friend owns a garage and just bought a mendrel bender and is going to make me the custom piping to go with my muffler and cat. Just wondering what would be the optimal size diameter wise seeing as the inlet for the remus is only 2 inches? I'm guessing the stock 2.25 inch is optimal? I have a GIAC chip if that changes anything and a HKS intake which I think I should change for a ABD or Carbonio? If anyone has any feedback it would be greatly appreciated. Even possibly what kid of set up I should have for my piping? Straight front to back?

Let me know! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
i think stock downpipe was like 1.75 inches, i think 2.75 in is a good size, just find an aftermarket exhuast of ur liking and coppy its piping size

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ha ha that sounds like a good idea! But the stock piping is definitely wider than 1.75 inch no?!??! Not talking about the downpipe, like the piping the whole way through until the muffler is AT LEAST 2 inch... I've seen it but never measure... you could be right though! 2.75 inch will be too damn loud though no? Plus my inlet for my Remus is only 2 inches so it's gotta be along those lines or else it'll cause too much back pressure? correct me if I'm wrong! feedback is greatly appreciated guys!

·
Registered
5 Posts
anything larger than 2.5 inch and you'll have to rev it way way too high.

I'd go for 2.25 since its low compression turbo 1.8L. You will get improved low and mid range power.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot for the reply! Really helps! the only exhaust systems I could find for my car were the APR (2.5 inch) and the Borla (2.25 inch) so I really wasn't sure how to go... I want more take-off power and linear poer and you said a 2.5 inch will give me just this. However since I am making my exhaust custom do you hae any suggestions for how I should do it? 2.25 inch all the way including the downpipe? I bought a magnaflow carsound 53005 (2.25 inch) high flow cat. However my universal remus has a 2 inch inlet. Will this effect performance much or can I just modify the opening on the remus an extra quarter inch? Any help on how to make my custom exhaust is greatly appreciated! I wanna get some damn power out of this car lol but got no money or a bigger turbo and everything else that comes a long with it!

Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya I have a GIAC chip! But I just drove a 1998 A4 with a Neuspeed full exhaust system and it sounded amazing and made the car feel as quick as mine without even having a chip! So anxious to have my exhaust made!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts