Audi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a '99 2.8 Quattro.the noise from the front of the engine sounds like its a diesel at idle.this is my first time ive owned an Audi so is it a normal noise or should i be concerned about it. anyone with any information would be greatly apprieciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by bl300z@Dec 14 2004, 02:43 PM
i have a '99 2.8 Quattro.the noise from the front of the engine sounds like its a diesel at idle.this is my first time ive owned an Audi so is it a normal noise or should i be concerned about it. anyone with any information would be greatly apprieciated.

If it sounds tappity then it could be related to the oil pump. I have a 99T 1.8 SE and at around 100,000 miles it started to sound tappity and the audi dealer said that the oil pump was probably not generating enough pressure. It sounded feasible. I still have the original pump in and currently on 155000 miles. I can live with the noise and just keep an eye on things.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by bl300z@Dec 14 2004, 11:43 PM
Well. If my engine souded like a diesel, and it was´nt. I would be concerned. :)

Low oilpressure, worn valvelifters, camshaft(s) or crappy timingbelt. Not good in the long run whatever it is.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well what can I say.

It's my understanding, that hydrolic lifters usually give in after a few years.
If it is yours causing problems, it's no big problem, and not too expensive.
It's usually normal ware and tear. You say the engine souds like diesel on idling, then i assume the diesel noise level on your audi fades away on reving.

Check out the hydrolic lifters my man -
Hope this helps

Wicked sound hey - <_<

1 - 5 of 5 Posts