Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Hope someone can help with this problem I am having with my 2001 S3 please!

Yesterday, as I pressed the switch to open the driver's side window the window dropped all the way down and now refuses to come back up.

(Looking back I think I heard an odd sound when I closed the door just before this happened)

It will come back up by about two inches but refuses to go any further and is now down in the door.

I took it to Autoglass who said it was still connected but there was nothing they could do about it, and to take it to Audi.

I'm gonna book it in later this week but has anyone had any similar experiences or know how much it might cost to fix (I suspect it needs a new mechanism)?

Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
my drivers window had the same problem when I bought my A3 back in the summer. I could get the window up, but I'd have to hold my hand against it and push up, to help it. I never opened it more than halfway either, as it was a bugger to get hold of when there's only an inch of glass sticking out of the door.

Mine was under warranty from the trader I bought it from, twice they just greased the runners which worked for about half an hour, then it would start doing it again. In the end I got pissy with them and they fixed it properly, I guess by replacing the whole mechanism.

As it was warranty work I don't know what the cost was I'm afraid. But I shouldn't think it's a huge job as it doesn't take long to get the side panel off the door on the A3. It's worth getting it done anyway, as it'll very quickly start to drive you nuts otherwise!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tell me about it - I can't leave it anywhere until it's fixed!

Thanks for the post, I'll let you know what happens....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For anyone who wants to know - Audi said the regulator had gone on my window and charged me £250 all in for a new one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem

Hi, I've got the same problem with my drivers door window... how do you get the interior panel off to see what the problem is? I can only find 2 screws that don't seem to do anything.
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is quite a common problem with A3/S3's... usually it's the plastic guides that go. These little buggars are stuck to each side of the glass, and are responsible for taking the window up/downwards.
Had mine replaced pretty unexpensively... all you have to find is someone who is willing to open your door and replace them. Garages generally won't charge you anything for the guides (they probably cost 50p each!), but will surely do for the service, which usually lasts 30-40 minutes.
My S3 is not in the UK, so can't provide a reference, but any reputable garage that handles glass/windshield replacements should be able to handle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts