Audi Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this will generate some discussion. I have been a Honda person for the past ten years owning over seven cars. Several months ago I bought an 06 A4. That was my worst mistake, it was noisy, there was vibration at all speeds the transmission shifted strange and it was uncomfortable. Just bought another 07 Accood V6. Much better car I should have stayd with Japanese. Good luck to all you Audi perple.

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
doc said:
I'm sure this will generate some discussion. I have been a Honda person for the past ten years owning over seven cars. Several months ago I bought an 06 A4. That was my worst mistake, it was noisy, there was vibration at all speeds the transmission shifted strange and it was uncomfortable. Just bought another 07 Accood V6. Much better car I should have stayd with Japanese. Good luck to all you Audi perple.
Thats a shame you must have had a factory lemon !! It does happen with all makes and models but as a whole Audi are quality cars and you dont tend to hear of so many as new as the one you bought with all those problems !!

Jap cars are very good but you just dont get the same styling and status image as a German Audi + its going to depreciate a lot more in value over the years :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have owned honda's, acura's, toyota's....all good cars.... just did not have soul...unfortunate that you bought a lemon. Don't think it can't happen to your honda... check out the blogs about the flawed Honda/Michelin Pax system and the angry customers and their lawsuit.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Your first sentence says it all: "I have been a Honda person for the past ten years". I read an article recently that examined brand loyalty for vehicles (which also talked about how car manufacturers recognise this and am certainly active in the area of 'marketing' to their customer base while they are young - perhaps through movies etc). IMHO, I do believe that most of us are loyal towards certain makes (while others, perhaps those that are indifferent to cars to begin with, have no preferrence whatsoever). I'm an Audi person, and will never feel the same way towards a Toyota, or Lexus, or BMW. I would like to believe that, it wasn't the A4, but that you would have said the same of a Toyota, BMW, or Merc. Am sorry you didn't enjoy your Audi experience, and am happy that you're back to where you enjoy. If we're all the same, the world would be a boring place ;-)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your just not used to superior handling and the feeling of a German luxury sports sedan. In comparison any Japanese car is nonaggression and tame. The 2.0t engine always has a low turnover rate (creates a low end rumble ). You probably just got a lemon. My 2.0t is amazing and I have also owned Honda's. In my opinion, there is no comparison.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have to say, I am truly impressed at the responses in this forum. Everyone is polite and seems not insulted but disappointed that, this guys prejudices have lead him away from an excellent car company, and that his single minded attitude have not invoked more hostile posts.

Hey Skiidude, where do you ski?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am coming from Jap cars and already know I am getting myself into a heap of trouble buying an audi. But they look so damn sexy...so I don't care :)

I have always loved BMW and VAG, now I am finally going to own one, even though the constant repairs are going to rape my wallet...without lube

·
Registered
19 Posts
Jap cars are very good but you just dont get the same styling and status image as a German Audi + its going to depreciate a lot more in value over the years :D
I would have to disagree with this statement. I beleive both jap and german cars are great in their own respects. I love both, but it is a commonly known pseudo-fact that the german cars require a lot of work just to maintain. I personally feel they are not as robust in their mechanical build quality...their looks on the other hand...bar-none.

On the other hand I get way more looks, thumbs up, and hollers when I drive my 300ZX Twin Turbo than my buddy does in his 500+awhp S4 and my Nissan is 18 years old. So looks can be subjective as well as that status image.

I would also disagree with your statement about jap cars depreciating more over the years. If you do some research you will find that jap cars actually retain their value much more than euro cars. It just appears that jap/asian cars lose more value because their starting sale price is lower, but as a percentage of overall original sticker price jap/asian cars retain much more of their value. I don't really feel like pulling up some stats or anything but everyone knows that luxury/euro cars lose their value almost instantly after you drive it off the lot and I read somewhere that Audi is actually the worst at retaining its value (how do you think I, a poor college student, can afford one). In a little over 4 years and 70k miles the A4 I bought lost over 50% its original price (I bought it for $12k). Look at a 2004 Corolla's original sticker price and compare it with the price you can get one for today. Looking at $17k loaded new. Today with 70k miles on it you are looking at $12-13k.

I guess I don't really understand where you drew the conclusion that asian cars lose their value more. It is basically the exact opposite (at least here in the US)

Don't mean to cause any waves, I love both cars. But I found your statements inaccurate to say the least.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been a Honda/Toyota/Lexus guy for over 15 years, wife driving our 2nd Odyssey, but for my car this time I'm going for the Audi. I've done the research and know that I'm in for more maintenance headaches than with the Japanese cars - but the A4 I test drove yesterday was just so much fun to drive and the Japanese cars just don't have the cool styling as a German car.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
I owned a Lexus before I bought my A4 and yes the Lexus was sweet but I enjoy my Audi so much more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have been a honda/toyota guy myself and my wife's A4 is the first and last german car we will own for awhile. In the short six months we have owned the vehicle it has given us headaches with constant repairs. I myself own a civic SI with more miles then wat the current A4 has and so far have had no problems at all...just oil changes are my biggest expense. It is unfortunate that we got stuck with a lemon euro and have a sour taste for them but it is wat it is and we are currently lookin to replace it just dont know with what yet but definately not another euro.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
I have to be honest and say for reliability Japanese car are excellent.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i dunno... every japanese car ive ever been in has felt cheap to me. from the way the doors close to the interior. i cant say that i would enjoy living in one as i drive so much. i enjoy driving in something that is a little rarer than the average honda civic so the european was the way to go. at the time i lived in north country ny (practically canada) so i needed awd, didnt trust merc or bmw's systems, and i had previously owned a subi that i hated, so it was the audi for me. besides, after buying the audi ive gotten used to the free coffee, tv and treatment at the dealership as well as all of the power that beastly 2liter has to offer. my next one is going to be at least an s of something if not an rs, even if it is outperformed by some of its bevarian or japanese counterparts. i love audi, there racing success, and their cars. what other company can stuff a w12 into a family car?

·
Registered
12 Posts
To each is his own, however the upscale japanese cars i think can compete with thier euro competition with no problem, they have come up in the luxury end and have gotten very sophisticated with the technology their cars have and at the same time very dependable. I guess dependability is in the eye of the beholder.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts