Audi Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think i did something Stupid.

I left the Ignition key in during fillup. The ignition wasn't on - it was just in the slot. My Fuel gauge still read the same fuel - even though i have a full tank.

Is there something that needs to be reset via VAG-COM???

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
i have never heard of this one.... if you have a copy of VAG-com try clearing the error codes??

lets us know how you get on.. - i have always wondering what would happen... (IF any one else dares to try let us know!!) :lol:

Also.... has the display updated with how many miles are left in the tank or is that still low??

Also is the fuel gauge empty.. ie like turned off or is it low stating fuel is in but the incorrect amount ?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
u can try this but make sure u have the RADIO KEY with you
disconnect the battery for 15-30 mins and pray the ECU resetted itself

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thats pretty strange. The fuel gauge is electronic and should reset itself every time the ignition is turned off. I think AllWheel has the right idea as a first step.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
just thinking... stop me if im wrong... but does the fuel gauge just work off a float in the fuel tank?? so if the float has got stuck for some reason it will keep the gauge in the same place. and the DIS will have calulated the fuel remaining and just keep counting down mile by mile until it hits ZERO??

Question...

When you tunr the engine off and remove the key does the fuel gauge move to the off position?? far left past empty and then when you turn on just goes back to the same place..---

If the fuel float.. (if float) has stuck once the fuel goes below that level it may drop and then when you put more fuel in it could then raise it??
However i guess its too much of a risk if you dont know how much fuel is left in the tank!!

QUESTION..... If it is on a float does anyone know if it can be replaced with out have to get a new tank?? - its could be the wiring maybe??

Answers on a post card!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well - I did what allwheel suggested and it worked!!

Soon as i connected the battery - fuel gauge went straight up DIS read 400miles.....

Thanks guys - Lets remember not to leave keys in while fueling in future even if it is the OFF position - CANBUS is still active in the car!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
just thinking... stop me if im wrong... but does the fuel gauge just work off a float in the fuel tank?? so if the float has got stuck for some reason it will keep the gauge in the same place. and the DIS will have calulated the fuel remaining and just keep counting down mile by mile until it hits ZERO??

Question...
When you tunr the engine off and remove the key does the fuel gauge move to the off position?? far left past empty and then when you turn on just goes back to the same place..---

If the fuel float.. (if float) has stuck once the fuel goes below that level it may drop and then when you put more fuel in it could then raise it??
However i guess its too much of a risk if you dont know how much fuel is left in the tank!!

QUESTION..... If it is on a float does anyone know if it can be replaced with out have to get a new tank?? - its could be the wiring maybe??
Answers on a post card!!

you can replace just the fuel senders, which have a float attached to them, the Audi TT senders are known for going bad often, they will often read way off and people have run out of gas as the gauge read more fuel than was in the tank. All its reading is resistance on a potentiometer and sending that to the cluster

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, had the same problem, it got to the point that it did not work at all and i found that the one wire was broken on the sender unit, could only pick it up with a multi meter as ther was no phisical break, replaced the wire and presto working fine again...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts