Audi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Not noticed any slip in mine, but I did have to a complete new clutch and dual-mass flywheel at about 13k miles, just over 12 months ago.

Was on a x-country journey, days before xmas '05, with lots of snow and ice, and the clutch pedal started to not fully release, eventually resting on the floor. Tried hooking up the pedal with my toe, but no joy, and you can't change gears clutchlessly, no matter how hard or careful you try (must be something in the Getrag gearboxes).

Flat-bed back to my local, stripped it down, and was duly shown a shredded centreplate, gouged flywheel and pressure plate, and seriously bend release arm. Hmmph - WTF caused that? Never did get any concrete reply from the dealer.

Another 13k mi later and all seems ok
fx/on <frantically searches for wood to touch> fx/off

Rgds

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any warning?

Did you have any warning or did it just got to crap on your trip? Was it fully covered my Audi? I am not due for a trip to the dealer yet, and it isn't a consistent problem, so I will wait it out a while longer.

I can tell you from experience that the gears can be changed without the clutch. One one my best friends has been racing in SCCA events for years and he took me for a ride in my S to show me what my car can do. He went up AND down through the gears without the clutch, except for starting in 1st, without so much as a 'ping'. I decided not to try that myself.

What tires do you use for snow and ice?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Charlies rag-top said:
Did you have any warning or did it just got to crap on your trip?
Not really any warning, well probably 5 or so miles before it finally let go, I noticed a change in the bite point, and the pedal seemed "lazy" when returning, but I didn't really worry, because I thought maybe some snow had temporarily blocked the cooling grills in the front bumper, or filled the naca ducts in the undertray.

Charlies rag-top said:
Was it fully covered my Audi?
Yup, full flatbed recovery, full cost of repairs (parts and labour), and provided a loaner, though NOT an Audi, for the duration (bits were on back-order, not helped by the Christmas shut-down).

Charlies rag-top said:
I am not due for a trip to the dealer yet, and it isn't a consistent problem, so I will wait it out a while longer.
If I were you, I'd seriously look at getting to the dealer ASAP. I'm sure you know that a slipping clutch is a hot clutch, and the dual mass flywheels seem to be quite a weak link. When the garage had completed mine, I asked to look at the old bits, and the flywheel was in a real bad shape!

Charlies rag-top said:
I can tell you from experience that the gears can be changed without the clutch. One one my best friends has been racing in SCCA events for years and he took me for a ride in my S to show me what my car can do. He went up AND down through the gears without the clutch, except for starting in 1st, without so much as a 'ping'. I decided not to try that myself.
OK, maybe I was having a bad day when the clutch went toast - heck, who wouldn't! I'm usually able to master clutchless gearchanges, even in a previous car with a Getrag box, but tend not to bother much these days. A clutch change is much cheaper than changing the syncro rings in a gearbox!.

Charlies rag-top said:
What tires do you use for snow and ice?
Ha ha - come on now Charlie, surely you know on our side of the pond how little snow we get!!!! Unless you live in the Scottish Highlands, the vast majority of Brits don't bother with M&S boots, simply relying on the standard fitment all seasons tyres. Last winter, I was runing on Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, and they were pretty good really (when compared to other all seasons tyres), much better than the OE ContiSportContact2s.

Rgds

1 - 5 of 5 Posts