Audi Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2002 130 TDi A4 Avant and have found that my head lamps are very dim, i have upgraded the bulbs to 80 watts but still find on those dark country lanes that it's hard to see. I've had my eyes tested so it's not that :) i can see fine when i use the wifes car. Has anyone else come across this? Is it possible to upgrade them to a better lamp? Any help is appreciated.
Jon

·
Registered
163 Posts
HID will light your way! =)

The halogen projector headlights on your particuluar car are somewhat insufficent. The projectors are good, but not good enough for halogen light.

You car can easily be fitted with OEM HID headlights, which will make a world of difference! They can be pricey, but if the right person goes about it, you can save a lot compared to just buying a pair of HID headlamps. Your current headlights can easily be switched over to true HID for around $250 USD.

Be carefull with higher wattage bulbs as well, as the cars wiring is NOT meant to handle the extra current. An 80 watt halogen bulb draws around 10 amps, the stock 55 watt bulbs draw around 5-6 amps. In your particuluar headlamps, the extra heat can damage the projectors as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information, do you know of any websites that i can get more information from?
Cheers
Jon

·
Registered
163 Posts
hidplanet.com is a site dedicated to HID and automotive headlights. They tend to be fairly rude over there, so be carefull if you ask questions... do a search first.

Or you can ask me if you like... I have a very good knowledge of automotive lighting and would be happy to help any way I can.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took my car to Audi today to see if they had any suggestions, first thing that they said was can we put some genuine bulbs in. When they took out the 80watt bulbs they were black. No wonder i couldn't see. It's still not solved my problem as it started out with audi bulbs, but at least its improved a little. I'll have a look at HIDPlanet, but not too sure what i am looking for. Am i looking to replace the halogen bulbs with HID bulbs?
Cheers
Jon

·
Registered
163 Posts
You can get away with an HID kit, which has re-based HID bulbs that would fit your halogen projectors. But, like I said, kits tend to not last very long.

The best way to do it would be to swap the projectors in the headlights for some Valeo D2S or D1S HID projectors. You'd then need a pair of Valeo ballasts and a pair of bulbs, either D2S or D1S depending on what projectors you got. Your headlights should already have the ballast mounting place, it just has to be cut out to allow the ballast to fit.

If you like, I could set up a system for you and guide you through the process. Once you take the headlights off the car, its really simple and should take less than an hour to get all the components in the lights.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Those site you posted seem mostly "kit" oriented, the HIDs4U site seems to have some OEM parts, but they're expensive.

As for color temperature, 4300K is what OEM bulbs run at and give the best overall light output, 6000K bulbs are much more blue and are slightly dimmer than 4300K. Anything over 6000K is a waste of money, as the lumen output is very close to regular halogens and makes it very difficult to see even in good weather.

I could get you all the parts you need (ballasts, bulbs and projectors) for right around $250 USD, Im not sure exactly where you live so I dont know what conversion to use, but im sure you can do the math. =)

Do you have a picture that shows your headlights? Im pretty sure they're the overall same design as in the US, I just want to be sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts