Audi Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Newbie to this forum so be gentle.

Just bought my son a 1995 A6, and although an old car it really does belie its age.

The only problem is the rear illumination to the odometer and the outside temp guage are u/s. Any ideas. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I beleive Those are pretty ahrd to replace individually, you have to buy the dash kit all in 1 thing, and they arel ike 300 bucks (had to repplace my speedometer)...So its kind hard to fix from my knowledge...My Gear thing & outside temp are out on mine also :(...so if u figure out a way to fix it w/o replacing the whole dash, i'd like to hear about it :) hehe...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there, I replaced some dash bulbs in my A6 yesterday, it's not too bad to do if you take your time, there are two screws (visible from underneath) that fasten on the long black trim below the speedo pod, unscrew them and pull the trim out right hand side first (on a RHD car), this will expose the 3 screws that hold the dashboard binnical (sp) in place, unscrew these and the binnical will now pull out enough to feel/see the back (it will be a bit tight), I DID NOT unplug any wires as my mate said the dash may be coded to the car and unplugging it could cause problems.

You should be able to position the binnical so you can locate the bulbs that are blown, it is a bit awkward as you wont be able to completely rotate the binnical because of the wires. now it's just a case of twisting the bulbs out, these are recessed so you may want to use a small pair of long nose pliers.

The bulbs can be bought from most motor factors, the ones I bought were made by "Ring" and I think???? the code for them is 509, best to check this for yourself, you should be able to buy them from any Audi main stealer if you can't find them elsewhere, the ones I bought cost about £1 each.

Best to buy the bulbs first so you can see how they fit, just a twist fit.

As for the outside temp sensor, this was the only one I didn't fix as it looked like I would have to unplug a connector to gain access to the bulb, I will tackle this at a later date when I know for sure that it wont decode itself, my mate works at Audi main dealer so is going to find out for me.

Sorry for the long post, it's easier than I've made it sound, just take your time with it. :lol:

Edit* I'm guessing you have bulbs blown, if not you know that you can adjust the dash brightness by twisting the clock adjusting plastic pin? :lol:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I can only comment with some level of authority on UK spec cars, but I don't think US / European will be different in dash illumination. They are quite simple to replace, 10 in all I think from memory, an 8mm 1/4" drive deep socket, (slim type like snap-on), will help with removal of the bubs, (assuming they are standard and have a hex base). I ususally replace them all when I have it out as you get a nicer uniform brightness (some bulbs will likely have been replaced in the past and so are newer & brighter than others).

There are some others not for illumination though related to model & options the auto trans, abs, airbag, engine management etc, and also the check system, (these two have coloured "condoms" that can be swapped on to new bulbs if required.

The dash can also be unplugged and removed from the car without issue, (no codes), I have swapped out many and all you loose is current Fuel economy average / trip mileage, (resets on unplugging similar to disconnecting the battery.) The only thing I know you can't simply swap out is the main engine ECU because it has to be code matched to the alarm immobiliser. Not sure if VAG-COM can do this? but I have a spare (TDI 140) ECU, (not needed to use / try it yet), but I guess it might be worth me finding out..

The outside temp unit is a separate item with an individual connector on the back of the instruments unit. It has a smaller type bulb that is physically soldered into the unit, and these are usually always blown by now on these models. Again it's easy to solder in another or I can do if for anyone that can't if you send me the unit (it's just four small screws to remove the unit with the dash out or you can get it out without disconnecting the main wiring if you twist the dash around bit awkward but I've done it when not wanting to loose my average fuel economy mileage, dash can be used fine with the outside temp part removed.

have a few dash units here, and one spare outside temp unit, so if anyone wants images to help explain to do it themselves please ask........

(ex motorsport mechanic so I pretty much know my way around these cars.... but by no means do i know it all :wink2:...... currently running a 1997 A6 Avant TDI lowered S6'd etc)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cheers BladeRunner :beer: , I'll be fixing the outside temp display now that I know it's not going to reset the dash and break the car!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Quick question. Are the LCDs (odometer, outside temp, gear select) also backlight light the rest of the dash by these same bulbs, or do you have to get new ones?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just went removed the instrument panel and replaced some bulbs. The odometer bulb can be replaced. The outside temp and shift indicator do not have replaceable bulbs, I believe they are LCDs.

As one of the other posts indicates, it is a pretty simple operation to pull the instrument panel and get to the bulbs. I have 3 additional tips:
1. Put some wide masking tape on the steering column to keep from marking it up
2. The bulbs have bases that a small socket will fit on, this is easier than using a screwdriver to twist them.
3. Replace all of the bulbs -- no need to go through the operation twice.

BTW, expect to work upside down a bit!

Greg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bladerunner,
Do you know if the door open / lights on chime is located in the instrument panel in the 95 A6 Quattro? Mine stopped working and the door switch is OK. I would like to replace the chime so my wife does not leave the lights on and get stranded.

My dealer has indicated that the chime is part of the complete panel, but they are not 100% sure. They cannot find anything in the parts list for the chime.

Greg

·
Registered
53 Posts
they are LCDs, but you can take them apart and replace a small single LED in there...just go to a radioshak or something, pick up a small 12v LED (ask the guy what they have for car ones)...go through the back of your dash, and replace a couple screws, and disconnect the wires. once you have the little box (either temp guage/odometer/tranny) you should be able to take it apart fairly easy. Once you're done with that, get a soldering iron, and carefullly remove the old LED, and replace it with the new one (my new one was a little bit bigger, so it was kinda difficult to fit, but it went in)..then just reassemble, and put back in ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks HellBent

I have an extra tranny indicator with a burned out LCD. I'll see if I can get it apart. Both my tranny and outside temp gauge LCDs are burned out.

I also cannot find the darned burned out lights-on chime. Any help would be appreciated.

Greg

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi,
the lamp of the outside gauge LCD should not be replaced by a LED. The lamp is useful to light the outside temp gauge LCDs.
The lamp is also useful to give a little heat so that the outside gauge LCD functions correctly when the temperature in the car is very low.
The liquid crystals do not function with low température.They will be thus heated by the lamp and will function in winter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
OK THIS NEEDS TO BE STICKIED. THIS IS THE ANSWER TO SO MANY OF OUR QUESTIONS. some more photos of the other lights and what kind they are so i can know which ones to go buy would be great. THANK YOU SO MUCH Legaumais!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is all very good info on the lack of instrument pannel lights.

I used the info here and did the whole thing in about an hour.Replacement bulbs can be purchased in the US for between $1 and 5 each.

Did anyone find out where the headlight warning buzzer is?
If it would make noise I could find it, but then I would be looking for it!

What bulb should I use behind the temp sensor?

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is FANTASTIC info! Ambient Air Temperature Gauge Back Light. I've read in so many other post across different forums that this lamp is an LED. People get confused with LCD vs. LED I guess. When I pulled the unit out, it was clearly an incandescent lamp and it was blown. LED's have an anode and a cathode and there was no indication of a positive or negative on the pc board. Quick trip to Radio Shack for a #7219 Micro Lamp 12V 60mA Wire Terminal Base Lamp (come as a two pack) and I was in business. What baffles me is how the LCD actually works! There's no wiring to the glass... is it some sort of induction? It's like PFM!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts