Audi Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

I have a 1997 Audi A4 Turbo 1.8l, and I can find why the cylinder #2 it's not working. The spark plugs are good, and coil packs (I move them between them, including the spark plugs) and nothing is changing, the cylinder #2 it's still not working. The wires are ok, so far I can see. The problem can be in Ignition Control Unit/Ignition Control Module but I don’t know how to check it ( I don’t want to buy it if I don’t know if it’s bad or good it cost $350). So I’m wandering if anybody had the same problem, or has an idea what can be. Thank you very much.

Florin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bieny, thank you for your response. I don't think the injector is the problem (with the engine on I listen to each injector through the handle of a screwdriver) and the one from cylinder #2 it's operating the same like the others. I did not want to take it out because I will need to change the O-rings after that... But anyway thanks for your input. I think I'm not getting any voltage at the ignition coil...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Try to Vag it and see what happen's. see what codes come up. I have a similar car and that scare's the crap out of me.
Good luck mate
Addam

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just did a search on all Audi sites and 7 people that had the same problem as you was Coil Pack's and spark plug's.
But you have done all that. I will keep doing a search and see if I come up with something for you.
I will keep you posted
Addam

·
Registered
43 Posts
Every post regarding your problem seem's to point to this in pic below.
I found a post on Audiworld in the search forum I typed in PO302 and I found a guy with the exact same thing as you.
It is apparently a common problem and may be your ignition control modual in the pic below.
this is the post topic below
This is from the post

Seems to be your "power output stage", located on top of your air filter assembly. To test & confirm, simply switch #2 coil to #3, and #2 spark plug to #1. If misfire stays at #2, it's either your injector or the output stage. Another, simpler way to test it is check the smaller wires for a pulsing ground on the connector with 5 wires, using a test light. If one isn't pulsing, that means one coil pack isn't getting a signal to spark.

This is from the guy with the problem
replacing the ICM fixed my problem, which makes me oh so joyous.
i ordered from thepartsbin.com and received the part the next day (aside from a small snafu because of the VIN split for my model year).

ECU help needed by a4guri
he changed around the lead's,coil's with no luck
they are saying you need to change it
pic below
All OEM Audi Parts - Discount Online Parts Catalog

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Addam
Thank you for your help and the time you spent with my problem. I will try to look at the ICM, I did suspect it's the problem, but it the price for it is $250-350... Again thank you.
Florin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hei Addam
I just got the Ignition Control Unit, (from ebay for $80! not 350..) and the car runs like a clock! It takes 3 minutes to instal it ! Thanks a lot again.
Florin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts