Audi Forums banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update

My previous post on page 4 has reference. Obviously I decided to keep my B6, which has been largely trouble-free since. It has around 148 000km (~ 90k ml.) on it now with the only replacements required in the interim being the coil-packs (two went within a day of each other, so I decided to replace the remaining one at the same time), and the lower control arm bushings, which were replaced by the dealer at it's 135 000 km service (this was a tad expensive, but the car feels new again).

My wife continues to be the main user, and is very gentle - never using the manual over-ride, and refraining from full-throttle acceleration. She keeps the dash display on the fuel consumption indicator, and always tries to beat her target on her daily run. It also helps in this regard that she has become accustomed to using the cruise control whenever possible.

On the occasion that I do get a chance to drive it (I use a BMW F800S for my daily commute), I'm reminded of what a wonderful car it is - smooth, powerful, quiet and effortless with exeptional fuel consumption. Having recently driven my sister-in-law's BMW 320 auto, I was also reminded of just how good Audi's CVT is.

Here's hoping for many more trouble-free years. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm seeing lots of people with issues with this gearbox, failures at 40k and below very expensive repair bills etc, one audi guy saying that most failures occur with the B6 A4's and just wondering if anyone actually is running these upto big miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
On my 2003 A4 the clutch pack was replaced at 80k and again at 96k. I now have over 110K and I think the symtoms are starting again. Would I buy another Audi with CVT? Thats a definate NO!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I know there were a lot of problems with the original 6-plate clutches and these were NOT replaced as part of the OEM recall on the 2.0's, 1.8Ts and 1.9TDI's, only the 2.5TDI's... but I thought that those with e7-plate clutches were having much better luck and those with the newer models (late 2007 onwards) have even fewer problems....

Hell, I'm running a manual, so I wouldn't know, but I'm interested as my dad had a few fault free years use out of a late 2007 A6 2.0TDI and now has a 2011 A6 2.0TDI (again with the CVT)...

@TonyD: BTW - cruise control = worse fuel economy... gentle accelleration and manual overide the gears up to keep the engine revs low (but not "shuddering") and you'll thump her cruise controlled journey :) I had to do the same journey several times recently on a stretch of very empty road, variation of open straight stretches and mountain passes and I woudl estimate around 15%-20% better fuel economy without cruise control! (it was a Merc R500, so both sets of numbers were shocking).... I've noticed similar on my A4, even jsut cruising on the motorway in 6th gear and seen several comemnts in EVO magazine to that effect too...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Erm...

I've got a 2004 Audi A4 B6, 3.0L V6 with a CVT. According to the car's history, the fluid has only been changed once at 50k miles. I'm at 130k miles now, and sure enough, I'm occasionally experiencing jerks and shudders while in D. I don't experience these mishaps in S(Sport) or while using the Tiptronic sequential manual. I use D most of the time anyway, as the jerks are infrequent. I am still concerned over getting the Tranny fluid flushed-I plan to get the fix done soon.

CVTs aren't a downfall to Audis. Notably, they are highly experimental. Carmakers nowadays are just now incorporating them as standard options for their cars. CVTs offer tremendous advantages as they work wonders with fuel economy, make operating the car more comfortable, and even help keep the power on better when you're putting your foot down. My monster V6 A4 will get 30 MPG on the highway most of the time, I'm pretty sure I have the CVT to thank for that.

My car's really put in a good life, but it's CVT hasn't screwed it over at any point. It might be because it's a 2004-Audi had all the problems figured out by then. It could also have been the early tranny fluid flushing. So I guess what I have to put in: staying on maintenance is key, and if you're looking for a secondhand B6 A4 with a CVT, get a 2004.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Such a pity !Sorry but I have never heard about it so I can’t help u here Maybe the best solution is to go the nearest car service?

61 - 66 of 66 Posts