Audi Forums banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sell it! Its a ticking time bomb. Audi screwed up with the CVT's of the B6 vintage. Great car otherwise, just get one with a manual or a non-CVT transmission.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Im selling my audi ASAP!
If you sell it privately... Move afterwards! ;)

PE mine for a new A5 Cab, with a very, very manual gearbox!!! Gald I did too as gremlings are starting to come out the wood work on the current crop of Multitronics too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
oh yeah they aint coming near where i lives. :) I put it for sale and got 4 responses in 24 hours. 2 say they will buy it.

Today I replaced the head light and the window regulator. So its good to go. All my problems are fixed.. yea!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hoe about that one

hi folks i have a 2002 a4 1.8 t cvt
i live in georgia but not in the american state.
so that means limited service for an audi.
my problem is that when i drive my car for 2 hours its starts to do this...

from a stop when its in D its doesnt move for a couple of seconds if i rev it it suddenly bumps in and the front wheels spin.
its like its neutrel and when i rev it its hits into gear.
thats horrible when im uphill.the car rolls back .
but it has no problems in R so in reverse.
it like it slips. but just from a stop.
i have 65 miles on it. i donts think its the oil. cuz the reverse works good only problems in D.
is it the tcu?

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
hi folks i have a 2002 a4 1.8 t cvt
i live in georgia but not in the american state.
so that means limited service for an audi.
my problem is that when i drive my car for 2 hours its starts to do this...

from a stop when its in D its doesnt move for a couple of seconds if i rev it it suddenly bumps in and the front wheels spin.
its like its neutrel and when i rev it its hits into gear.
thats horrible when im uphill.the car rolls back .
but it has no problems in R so in reverse.
it like it slips. but just from a stop.
i have 65 miles on it. i donts think its the oil. cuz the reverse works good only problems in D.
is it the tcu?
If your instrument display PRDS is not flashing, you may be in luck,
you need to replace you cvt fluid and change a few O-rings. and also the external oil pressure pipe so call external filter. If still does not work, the TCU needs replacement, there is no rocket science in this gearbox. if you knows a good mechanic, there is an internal filter which is best to replace at 65,000 miles to keep the metal dust from damaging the TCU.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's my $.02....

'04 A4 1.8t CVT
Just over 101k miles

Purchased used around 21k miles back in '06 and this is what I've been through so far:
-TCM replaced w/in first 1 1/2yrs of owning it
-Coil packs replaced (my expense) then via recall (totally reimbursed)
Began receiving P0299 code (turbo underboost) so I've done the following:
-PCV hose replaced (and a few others back there)
-DV upgraded (Forge 007)
-Top 3 check valves replaced (just did this a few days ago; so far CEL has not come back on and it's been pretty hot lately, which is generally when it comes on)
Just found out from dealership the last time my tranny fluid was changed/topped off was around 40k miles, so I'm WAY overdue for a flush. Tranny filter does not get changed (besides, the filter alone costs around $400 which is one of the reasons why Audi doesn't even change it!).

Once I get it flushed, I'll probably get either a Stage 1 or +1 flash which is the highest I'm going. Along with a K&N drop-in filter (stock box) and exhaust upgrade, this is what I've learned to be the "safest" performance mods for the CVT - although some would argue you can do more, some say don't do anything at all.

Otherwise, I've had no problems with the car (engine wise; I've had to replace window and sunroof switches a few times) and plan to keep it as long as I can. Keeping up with general maintainence and not dogging it all the time should allow you to enjoy a mild tune for a while.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Hi Guys,
I've recently bought a 2004 A4 2.5TDI saloon with CVT - then I decided to google audi CVT!

I'm seeing lots of people with issues with this gearbox, failures at 40k and below very expensive repair bills etc, one audi guy saying that most failures occur with the B6 A4's and just wondering if anyone actually is running these upto big miles without issues? My car is at 61k and the CVT seems faultless, silky smooth so far, sometimes a bit unpredictable but I'm still getting used to it.

I'm seriously wondering if I should sell it on before the problems begin? Maybe I need a reality check, are they really this bad?

Any advice?

Thanks

Wayne
You need to flush the ATF fluid every 30k miles or earlier at 25k miles, pls note that you are only able to flush out 70% of the oil and some oil are in the clutch plate area, so in between you need to do at 20k miles and then 30 k miles, if you keep stock power you gearbox will not need a replacement at all, only replacing the Transmission control unit when you get flashing on the PRND display on instrument cluster. if you have 100k miles on your car, its better to do a semi overall, by replacing all O-rings in the valve body and a filter inside the gearbox. your clutch plate I think is 6 plate, maybe 7. The puley hardly faults unless you have exceeded the torque limits, the clutch plate will go first. Note CVT cars are not for tracking. you can push to the limits for every driving only. If you are ask to replace the gearbox probably you are conned.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here's my 2-Cents. After researching the subject for sometime now. Even joining in with 'we should all sue Audi' .. CVT's are not that bad in general. The TCM seems to be the biggest issue.. Yes they seem to go around the 50k mile. US Cost is around 2k I was unlucky and mine went at 37k. If you have a 1.8T you are less likely to have a transmission go.. There seems to be always the same 'small' handfull of people complaining about their CVT's going. The A6 and 2.5Tdi is more common, and I believe they recalled the 2.5Tdi and put in a 7 plate instead of a 6 plate.. The 1.8T's if something goes wrong, then you've just been unlucky. With any car you can get unlucky. How many story's have we all heard about engines failing on TOP German or Japanese cars, well before the expected mileage has been met.. We all buy our cars in hope that they'll take us to 200,000, but the truth is any car becomes a money pit after 100k.. If you can do that last 100k without any issues, consider yourself lucky..

Outside of the 2.5Tdi, we do not know if these people had their ATF changed? They probably just got a lemon. I've done 38k on my A4 1.8T and outside of the TCM going on me, there's been zero problems. I hope it stays that way until 100k... After that, I'll be silly to keep the car. Like anyone else.

A lot of Audi's have been sold with the CVT and only you can count on both hands the people in all the forums that have had problems, outside of the 2.5tdi .. Most people know how to use the internet, and most people will come on a forum crying about their CVT is something goes wrong.. Yes there is a pattern, but given it seems the same people who have had the problem, the problem seems quite small to be honest.

Look at it this way.. Warranty Direct will warranty my 2004 B6 Cabriolet car for 4yrs, 48,000 miles for under 5 grand.. Taking the total milage upto 86k They have the TRUE figures of the actual risk.. If you count all the TCM's that are likely to fail and all the engines at 12k replacement that are in that 5k, plus any other problems, seeing that the 5k warranty is pretty much bumper to bumper, NOT TO MENTION they want to make a decent profit, then your probability is actually quite low of something happening to your CVT. I'm guessing for every 5k they pull in, they expect to pay out 2k in repairs... Any mathmeticians out there? willing to work out the probabilty of a CVT replacement, taking into consideration not many repairs can be done? So its a complete replacement for the warranty company.

My findings are from reading all the posts on ALL the Audi Forums out there (which are global) and subscribing to the excellent TrueDelta website, which has real repair data from real owners, and using common sense from price quotes from the warranty companies out there. you probably have a 50% chance of the TCM going before 100k and a 10% - 20% chance of the CVT failing if you've changed your ATF at 40k.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As you can tell by my username, my 03 Cabriolet has become a money pit at 95K. I have loved this car until this point. My bigest bone of contention is the CVT. I had the clutch pack changed at 80k and with Audi's factory help they only charged me $2k, which I think is BS. The CVT went again at 95k. I was fortunate that I was not charged because of a misdiag by the tech for a hesatation problem. I will try to sell the car but after new tires, brakes and a cat converter for about $3k I still have a convertible top issue and a noisy P/S issue. I am out of work and cant afford a new car nor the additional repairs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
As you can tell by my username, my 03 Cabriolet has become a money pit at 95K. I have loved this car until this point. My bigest bone of contention is the CVT. I had the clutch pack changed at 80k and with Audi's factory help they only charged me $2k, which I think is BS. The CVT went again at 95k. I was fortunate that I was not charged because of a misdiag by the tech for a hesatation problem. I will try to sell the car but after new tires, brakes and a cat converter for about $3k I still have a convertible top issue and a noisy P/S issue. I am out of work and cant afford a new car nor the additional repairs.
So before 80k did you have any issues? Such as the TCM going? Or was the 1st sign of problems the clutch pack (probably an old 6plate?) When you say the CVT went again at 95k, what part went of it? The clutch pack again? Or the whole lot? Even though you would have had an ATF change at the 80k and the 7-plate clutch pack put in..

Even so, 95k isn't too shabby.. Outside of these 'wear & tear' problems you mention, what else do you expect? I mean 100k on an 8yr old car, things are going to go wrong.. Feel sorry for hte people under 50k who's warranty have run out and they are told they need a new 12k engine or 8k CVT... It happens.

There's a point in a cars life where repair costs start to overtake depreciation. I've always played with the 80k miles in mind for around that figure.. What you are now paying in repair + an ongoing deprecation, you could lease a respectable car for.. OK maybe not an Audi Convertible, but still a decent car. Anyway something for you to think about. Sorry for your financial losses & by the sounds of it, loss of a job..

·
Registered
15 Posts
The prolem with the CVT started the same way. It would appear to hesitate from a stop. I brought it in the second time for this plus other problems. They repaired the other concerns and could not duplicate the hesitation. When I test drive the car with the forman, he recommended that I leave the car again. Two days later, I was told it was the trans again. If I had known it was the trans from the start I would not have repaired anything and traded the car a CPO Audi Cabrio. The car needs additional work. The powersteering is noisy and the convertible top is inop also.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The prolem with the CVT started the same way. It would appear to hesitate from a stop. I brought it in the second time for this plus other problems. They repaired the other concerns and could not duplicate the hesitation. When I test drive the car with the forman, he recommended that I leave the car again. Two days later, I was told it was the trans again. If I had known it was the trans from the start I would not have repaired anything and traded the car a CPO Audi Cabrio. The car needs additional work. The powersteering is noisy and the convertible top is inop also.
Your post isn't making any sense. Please elaborate what type of CVT problems you had and at what mileage please. So that other users can get a grasp and make up their own minds whether or not the CVT is something to really fear. Also did you change your ATF at 40k ? Your car has nearly 100k on it. Problems are to be expected at that mileage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My first CVT problem happened at 80K. It first appeared that the car was hesitating from a stop. The second time with the same symptoms at 95K miles.

·
Registered
37 Posts
No, I was told it was the clutch pack each time.
Thanks, its good to know that your actual CVT transmission has actually held out upto 95k. The clutch pack is considered wear and tear, but even so hopefully they replaced the clutch pack free of charge the 2nd time round? I know when my TCM went, they gave me a 12month 12,000 warranty with it..

Out of interest how much is a replacement clutch plate? Around the 2k mark? That's the biggest problem with CVT if you ask me.. The damn prices they charge.. 2k for a TCM 2k for a clutch pack, then 8k for the entire transmission if you are an unlucky bastard and that goes... Outside of a clutch pack and TCM failing, my research leads me to beleive you should all be getting a good 100k out of your CVT's. It's just such a shame Audi has no competition that can get these items replaced at a reasonable cost.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The clutch pack was replaced at no charge to me. I guess my complaining helped. I was within the 12 month mark but over 12K in mileage by 3K miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 03 audi A4 1.8T Quattro and when i shift gears my rpms will go to 4-5 grand berfore engaging, to me this feels like my clutch is going out. Could this be my problem?

41 - 60 of 66 Posts