Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2018 A3 convertible has developed creaking sounds at parking lot speeds. It has 21000 miles and is in great condition. Do these cars need greasing? I’m due for service in 3k miles. I’m not sure if the creaking is the under car (suspension). It actually sounds like it’s in the interior. The sound is noticeable at times and then not apparent. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
2010 Audi Q5 Prestige
2 Posts
My 2010 Q5 with 93,000 miles on it does the same thing. It’s annoying and it’s likely the rubber bushings and suspension points. After time and conditions the rubber bushings dry out. Some of the best solutions I have come across are as simple as getting under the vehicle and spraying a silicone coating on all the bushings. Some may be too gone and need replacement, while it is more typical (as I have read) that they simply are dry, thus causing the creeking sounds we hear. I have had mixed results to this point. While the silicone spray I bought may not be the best or right one, I also used WD40 to help get out any dirt and crud. I am going to the parts store later today to get some other silicone that a friend recommended and give that a go. Costs a few bucks at a time, but it beats tearing things apart in the freezing temps here. If it is time to replace them, then maybe this will help get it through until warmer weather arrives. Decide for yourself if you think trying is worthwhile.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 2010 Q5 with 93,000 miles on it does the same thing. It’s annoying and it’s likely the rubber bushings and suspension points. After time and conditions the rubber bushings dry out. Some of the best solutions I have come across are as simple as getting under the vehicle and spraying a silicone coating on all the bushings. Some may be too gone and need replacement, while it is more typical (as I have read) that they simply are dry, thus causing the creeking sounds we hear. I have had mixed results to this point. While the silicone spray I bought may not be the best or right one, I also used WD40 to help get out any dirt and crud. I am going to the parts store later today to get some other silicone that a friend recommended and give that a go. Costs a few bucks at a time, but it beats tearing things apart in the freezing temps here. If it is time to replace them, then maybe this will help get it through until warmer weather arrives. Decide for yourself if you think trying is worthwhile.
Thanks, Mick! I do think your suggestions are worth trying. As I have tried to pinpoint exactly when and where the creaking happens, I’m more and more convinced the creaking is in the interior areas. I hear it when I’m driving in the parking lot. I don’t know if I’d hear suspension creaks while in the car. Maybe I would. When I try to bounce the car (rear and front just pushing down with my hands), I hear nothing in those areas. I thought maybe body integrity may be weakened structurally because my car is a convertible. At any rate I’m due for service in mid March and will have the Audi techs give their opinion. I’ll let you know. Thank you again.

·
Banned
18 Posts

1 - 6 of 6 Posts