Audi Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my car in for an inspection to examine a slight power steering leak, as Audi technician had explained that it may be £500 to replace leaking hose (!!!!!!!!!!)

As it got up on the ramp it began to leak pink water. And then pour out. This was all my coolant and the car was now undriveable. I had to get a taxi home (paid for by Audi, to be fair) and now have no car for the Christmas period as all the hire cars are booked.

COuld've been worse, I suppose, if I'd been on a journey the engine might've popped.

Is this a common occurance, my friends?

Chris

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
i only heard of this happening once
what engine do u have
and did your warrenty expire

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Sounds unlucky to me.. what engine is in it??

had Audi already been investgiating your problem or had they just put it onto the rump then that happened?? they could of knock a hose or something??

Without looking at it its hard to say.. but you did mention the fluid just pouring out so it could be something as simple as a hose on the bottom of the radiator coming off, hoses tend to be cheap ish (maybe £30 GBP - depending on which one) and very easy to fit, but becasuse your cars in the Audi garage they have got you over a barrel now..

Get them to look at it and try striking a deal...

Cant really help much further.. - in regards to the power streeting leak.. it can cost a fair bit depending again on which hose or it could be a steel pipe which is leaking... its a very hard one to help with.

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem of split hoses apparently stemmed from them being twisted when new engine fitted 10k ago under warranty with previous owner. They got weak and gave up. I was lucky it happened in the service bay, I guess.

Had a pair of new hoses fitted, plus one hour labour, £125 in total. Apparently the mechanic changed by brake fluid too, which was supposed to cost £77, although this didn't appear on the invoice. I thought it was prudent to keep quiet as I didn't want to spoil what was obviously a kind gesture on their part. Ahem.....

Thanks for your interest, boys. The car is absolutely awesome to drive and I have just done 200 miles today, my first real trip, round the Welsh Mountains. Superb. The roadholding is amazing. I felt as though I was pushing myself, but the car had so much more to give. I'm enjoying the learning curve.

Hope the repir bills stop now so I can save up for some fuel.

Chris

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
im glad everything is ok and it wasnt that big of a hit to your pockets

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is your Audi an A4 1.8T??? If so did you ever receive any communication from Audi pertaining to the use of Synthetic oil?

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
I said it sounded to be like a hose had just split!! (good cheap ish fix!!)

Glad you enjoying it..... what did you think when they said they put a new engine in!! (its never a good thing to hear to start with!! )

i have my engine replaced at 45k - (nice!!) - which make it even a better car with 45k less on the engine compared to the clock!! - ( a selling point do you think??)

ENJOY!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New engine was fitted at 47k under warranty for previous owner, so cam belt and engine are only 10 old. Bonus, I think, although it was a shock at first. Hope it doesn't go for me. I've had it 2 weeks, have had Audi service it, had 4 new tyres and then the above repair. So I just want to drive the beast and enjoy it now. Don't want to see the inside of the Audi Service Centre for 2 more years.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
yeah.. when you hear NEW ENGINE! you start thinking why what happened etc..!! but as you say "chrisbreez" its got to be a good thing!!

ENJOY!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a problem with my A4 1.8T. It's leaking coolant from the back of the engine. There are single drops of water coming out from the back. I can't really see if it a hose of something that cracked but i have to refill the coolant tank almost everyday. It's behind the engine in the middle top section. Any advise of what could it be?:confused: Thanks in advance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts