Audi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've got a 1997 1.8 ADR 20v A4 Avant,

When I got the car (2nd hand), the coolant was empty. I topped it up with just water for the drive home and then added some coolant when I got back. After a week it was all gone again. I topped it up with the correct coolant / water mix again and it has been fine since (2-3 months and lots of milage).

However, in all of this time, neither the air con or the heaters have been working. I've checked out as many forum posts as humably possible on this matter and as far as I can gather, the flap valves are fine, the pipes through the firewall are fine (getting hot), the air con switch and compressor both activate perfectly. There is an increase in temp when increasing the temp controller from hot to cold. (not enough though).

I noticed on one post, that you could bleed the coolant throught the coolant bleeder hole in the pipes leading to the heater core. I opened the clip, slid the pipe back so that the hole was open, lifted the coolant resevoir and nothing happened. No coolant at all (for over 5mins) with engine on and fans on high. So I pulled the pipe off the "nipple" fully and there was only a dribble of coolant that dripped out of the pipe.

Do I have a blockage? (note no over heating, and thermostat ok).

A mechanic stated that it could either be a coolant blockage (but why would the pipes still be getting hot), a blockage in the heater core (suggested renewal
) or a dodgy flap valve.
I do remember squeezing the firewall pipes a while back and noticed they were crunchy on the inside!!?!

Please help!

Also, on my model (manual transmission) should I have any kind of readout on the dash board on the two thin sections below the fuel light boxes as mine are blank. I've noticed on images that they often contain outside temp and gear selection. But I assume this is only on Automatic models.

Thank You

Martin

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Welcome to the forum Martin:)

It may be your pipes are blocked inside (crunchy sound) or maybe a air pocket somewhere in the system caused by when it ran dry before ?

Are there any signs of the car previously overheating? the water must have gone somewhere to be empty,could have been a radiator leak/ pipe leak or worse case senario head gasket issue.

Have you tried flushing the entire coolant system? with the filler cap off for any signs of air bubbles?

With regards to the DIS it was an optional extra on some models to display the outside temp,but the DIS doesnt display manual transmission on any model.

Have you got the SE or Sport model?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Cheers, I'm going to flush the system tonight (providing it's not too dark when I get in). Do I need to remove the thermostat like the Haynes manual states? If so where can I get a replacement rubber seal?

Cheers

Martin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,
I flushed the entire system with the garden hose and then refilled with coolant and bled it properly. I now have heat. It's not quite as hot as it should be but its much warmer all the way to work now.

Cheers Guys

Martin

P.S. Neither S or SE model.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts