Audi Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys..

i m new too, and i dont think creating another topic with increase me chances of getting popular.

unfortunately, i m one of the unlike a4 owners. well, probably not so unlucky.

i just got a 2nd hand 96 a4 1.8 NA. so i guess, i have the least of engines the A4 could ever have. since i just got it, i think i better make do with it until i find the means to upgrade to b6, soon i hope.

my problem now is my auto gbox. i really cant stand it. we all know the 1.8 NA only puts out 125bhp, and though my car had gone through some mods like p&P, its power delivery is not satisfactory.. mainly due to the auto gbox.

i m in malaysia and i m finding it really hard to get parts and services to change my auto trans to a manual. any advice? can i fit other VAG model manual gbox?

rizal
Malaysia

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
with a car that age i think it will be easier and as cheap to go buy a manual one., (well here in the Uk you can pick them up for about £1000 to £2000 GBP if not cheaper.). (dunno what the market is like for you)

I cant see it been cheap to convert it, and also you are throwing dead cash at it, as you will not increase the vaule... (also the auto box is worth a little more here in the UK)

Cheers.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Congrats on getting your first Audi.
I gotta agree with RickT. That seems like alot of work and money to throw at an eight year old car. Don't know what your mileage is but you can probably expect some other repairs soon (wheel bearings, ball joints, etc,,,). These things just wear out.
Save your money. Wait till your next car and get the transmission you want.

Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
guys,

thanks for the attention. i just love the ads! those are still current, rite?

u guys have a point.. the saving money and get a new ride part. but over here, sadly, the audi's are not favorable compared to the bimmers and mercs in terms of the value.

anyway, i just got mine for a few months and love every moment of it. but i figure, if i wd wait it out for the B6 price to come to an affordable level, its gonna be a good 3 years, at least. thats a long time to wait. so, i really think the manual transmission is the solution to keep me happy for the next three years. technically, its not too difficult, rite? ie. no electronics involved?

btw, u guys make it sound very expensive to change the gbox. of course the used A4 over there cost less than 2k. one cd just buy anew. unfortunately, even my 1996 A4 cost 10k here (after the necessary conversion)!!

comparatively, i think it is still worth while to get a manual gbox imported here.

more advise please?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
anything is possible if u got the money
but i dont think it will be percise at a car that came manual
this isnt like changing a civic to a manual so i wouldnt do it

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
just one other other... im not 100% sure... but i think the Manual box would not just go stright onto an auto... i think the sump and the lower casing is different on the auto.. i may be wrong.. but i just remember reading something in the past..

Seems a lot of $$$ to spend... but its upto you...

also... one other thing... if you want to get all the electric working. you have to buy a new clocks and computer, (remove the auto style clocks) also... flash the ECU as that could also cause problems... also.... i think the exhust is differnet two... i think it also could be routed different??

upto you.... i wouldnt.. i would just drive it using the kick down all the time!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow... seemed like a lot of hassle. i was under the impression that it would be as straight forward as like the japanese cars, like what AllwheelGrip said.

i guess, this idea of converting to manual should be scrapped? well, unless if i can get a 1.8T manual half cut engine that i can import..

thanks a zillion guys. i just hope my gbox will last with no major problems. so i should not also consider getting my engine a NOS system of supercharge it, rite? torgue limit for the gbox?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts