Audi Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, i have a year 2000 audi a6 1.9tdi non pd which has a really bad cold start problem, it misfires really badly and the engine shakes violently for upto 10 seconds.
i have changed the glow plugs and relay also have had a 1 way valve put onto the fuel line incase it is the fuel draining back, i have also had it on the diagnostics with no fault codes present.
the colder it is the harder it is to start rather than the longer it is left over night,
i have took it to 2 auto electricians and 2 mechanics and noboby can find the problem. audi think it could possibly be the injector pump timing but they said they have never done it before and would be unsure how to do it correctly !
can anybody offer any advice please ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi, where would i find the coil packs ? and what do they do ?
im guessing that the auto electricians will of checked them, wouldn't the coil packs show up on the diagnostic machine ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Red...

After all, it sounds like a glowing problem. Can you tell how long the glow indicator on your dashboard is visible when you are starting your car? Around zero degree of celcius it should be visible some 5 sec. My VW (1.9TDI) do the same if I don't use an electric motor heater when temperature is around zero. On the other hand, through the ages VW diesel engines are well known of its bad cold start characters.

Injection pump timing can be one possible explanation, though you should notice some power loss at the same time.

-JK

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi, the glow plug light stays on for around 3 seconds, i haven't tried to start the car below zero degrees yet as i have only owned it for a few month.
i did phone audi and they said it could be the injector pump timing but they said they weren't sure how to fix it as they have never done it before, but told me to try turning a screw on the injector pump, is it a good idea to start fiddling with this screw ?
my starting problem is getting worse, it started really badly today after work and the outside temperature was 11 degrees !

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi!

The glowing system has a temperature sensor, somewhere on the engine (can’t say exact place without knowing motor type). Basically, malfunction of this temperature sensor can cause some starting problem you described in your first post. In addition, this sensor has an influence to injector pump timing, in cold start it set timing earlier and this helps cold starting.

Other possibility is air leak on your fuel system. In many cases, air leak in fuel line can causes similar problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi, thanks for the reply, i have just got off the phone to audi, they said my car doesn't have a glowing temperature sensor only the normal engine temp sensor.
i have had a no return valve put on the fuel line and the problem still persists, the car starts worse the colder it is not the longer it is left, any more thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated, if i can't fix it in another week im giving up and buying a old bmw m3 evo !

·
Registered
2 Posts
redcruiser said:
hi, thanks for the reply, i have just got off the phone to audi, they said my car doesn't have a glowing temperature sensor only the normal engine temp sensor.
i have had a no return valve put on the fuel line and the problem still persists, the car starts worse the colder it is not the longer it is left, any more thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated, if i can't fix it in another week im giving up and buying a old bmw m3 evo !
Hi red did you get this problem fixed or find out the cause? I have the same problem with my 2002 1.9tdi pd130 and have also changed the glow plugs and relay to no avail. Vag.com is not showing any fault codes and the car starts/runs perfectly when warm. Aaghh!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can't believe it I have the same problem in my a4 quattro 1999
its really stressful. actually it did it today after work, when it finally started I went straight to the mecanic, Ill let you guys know if anything.
And if somebody got any more input on this reply please
thanks
wescyj

·
Registered
2 Posts
Definitely not fuel gelling as I also have a vw sharan with the same 1.9tdi engine on the same driveway and luckily for my other half this starts first time every time as smooth as my audi should be!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts