Audi Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am new to this forum. Just bought a 2002 A6 2.7T Sport. Love the car but there is a chirping noise. Sounds like it is coming from the front wheels?? Only happens while driving. As soon as I touch the brakes, the noise goes away. I just had the brakes re done and the noise is still there. Any idea??? Thanks for your input :)

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Welcome to the forum barnes:)

Did an Audi dealer change the breaks or independant? What did you have changed? pads/ discs or both?

If both it could be the Discs are still wearing in (takes about 500 miles before there properly bedded in to the pads and the garage should advised you to not break to hard from a high speed.)

Also the garage should have put a copper grease on the back of the pads which alleviates a build up of break dust causing a squeking noise under breaking.

I would go back to the garage that done them and get them to rectify it if the the noise doesnt go away and tell them you didnt have the chirping before they replaced them.

Let us know how you get on .

cheers T-sport.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the pads replaced but the noise was there before the brakes were done. The mechanic, not Audi dealer, thought the noise was due to the brakes. He replaced the brakes and the noise went away for about a week. now it is back.

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Does the sound come from both front or rear brakes? Could be then one or more of your discs is warped, did the garage check for this when pads replaced?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i do not believe they checked the disks. the noise is coming from the front drivers side. a warped disk makes sense. do u know what a replacement cost?

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
I would reccomend you replace both front discs if they are warped,should cost you about at a guess $200 - $300 for the pair supplied and fitted.

Get them checked first though in case im wrong lol :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts