Audi Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way to Las Vegas my check engine light came on. I kept driving because I was in the middle of nowhere and it was pouring rain. I have 58,000 miles on the car. The car runs perfect with no problems with the check engine light on. Is there any way to check the computer code without using a hand held code reader. Also could the check engine light come on because of some up coming maintenance that's due to the car. Forgive me if there any typo's, I'm using my side kick II to send this thread.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
the handheld device you're talking about it called the VAG-COM unit. I believe there arehandheld units, but the most popular are those that hook up to a laptop. The included software lets you do tons of other things too (manipulate your chip, transmission, change locking preferences, ect). I think i paid $600 for my computer interface from Ross-Tech, but there are less expensive units out there.

As far as the engine light coming on for service - it does do that. The newer audi's will tel you in the cluster information pannel when you needservice - "service in 2000 miles". I beleive the older audis didnt say anything in the info pannel... just went straight to the check engine light.

The check engine light may also come on for low oil or something... might want to check your oil while you're at it...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts