Audi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Evening all, this is kind of related to my previous post relating to my cambelt. When I had the belt changed my mechanic told me that the tensioner wasnt in need of replacement but I have read that audi suggest replacement at the same time as the belt, so could not changing it cause problems?

Thanks

poker_study

*EDIT* In hindsight I probably could have added this to the previous post, oops my bad....sorry..

:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had my cambelt changed recently, the garage said they replaced the tensioner as standard with the cambelt and also suggested i replace the water pump as they had the engine apart to do the cambelt. total
cost £280 - Audi specalist in manchester

·
Registered
2 Posts
s3 cambelt tensioner failure

A quick word of warning.My girlfriend's s3 tensioner failed at 53k(3 years 10 months old).She was doing around 85-90mph.She had car from new.The cylinder head was scrap and the cylinder bores had cracks in them.Only choice was to fit replacement engine!!.I would suggest having belt changed again(with tensioner) for total peace of mind.I was informed there is no way to tell if tensioner is good or bad once it has been de-tensioned.Most performance cars demand both are changes together to be safe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
it is recommended you change the tensioner at the same time. i think a timing belt kit is £100 from an audi dealer. you dont mention what engine you have? it is more important to change the tensioners on the 1.8 20v models. a worn tensioner can cause right big problems with this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts