Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm new to the site, and unfortunately, I must ask a serious question regarding my car. It's a 2001 A4 1.8t Quattro, 5spd, 75k.

Engine light went on. I brought it to my mechanic, and the code read that it was possibly the camshaft sensor. After he looked into it, and spoke with amechanic he knows at Audi, they came up with the conclusion that the problem is the Camshaft Chain Tensioner. To replace this part is costing me about $1000. The person he spoke to at Audi, said that it's quite possibly/most likely the oil pump that is causing the tensioner to go, the oil is to sludgy, causing the tensioner not to get enough oil. Before I even think about replacing the oil pump, has anyone had this problem? Is there any way around it?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Andrew

·
Registered
186 Posts
First off, these engines don't have a chain but a belt. Second. there has been an Audi recall on the 1.8T engines due to the build up of oil sludge, that can result in engine failure. Check with your dealer about the recall. BTW, Audi says you are supposed to be using synthetic oil with the 1.8T engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. My mechanic heard about the recall, but said that it's not officially a recall. He's havin gthe car sent to the dealer, and they are gonna have an inspector check it out, to see if I qualify. I've used synthetic since I bought the car just over a year ago. I'm not totally sure what the owner before me used, but he had it serviced by Audi, so I hope it's safe to assume that they used the correct oil.

Out of curiosity, is there a specific year, or models built at certain times, that the engines had this problem? Or is it all B5's?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dont know if this information is pertinent or not but, i just replaced the timing chain tensioner on my 2000 A4 I had the check engine light come on took it to the shop and was told it was mis firing on all cylinders. Car sounded like a diesel engine and has been getting worse. Drove it home from work one day and it died halfway home. I had it towed home and decided to take a look to see what it might be took off the valve cover and found the timing chain tensioner had cracked replaced it along with the timing gear, timing belt and a few gaskets cost about $320 for all parts. Turned on the car sounded normal again did not replace oil pump (big mistake). Started driving around again 1 week later oil light came on car does not sound too good so I just purchased the oil pump will change out sometime this week. Point of story change out both parts if you can.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I not sure of the specifics regarding years but it covers several years of the B5.
Take note, this recall is for the 1.8T only, as it has had probelms (engine failure) due to the build up of oil sludge. Apparently its due to the higher operating temp. of the turbo engines.
It shouldn't matter if the previous owner used synth oil or not. As long as you have service records you should be able to go back to Audi and get coverage on this.
Good luck.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Unfortunately, from the posts on many forums, apparently Audi does care what oil was used by all owners, and that the service change interval has been followed with documentation if not done by an Audi dealer.

Synthetic oil is required, and no you can't count on the dealer doing the right thing.

I just had an oil change done at the dealer and specified synthetic when I dropped the car off. When I picked it up, the service rep said the CASHIER had noticed that they had NOT used synthetic and that it was required. So they had changed the oil again.

Always check.

VB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts