Audi Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 1995 2.0E Cab with a manual roof that has an annoying problem. The soft top stowage lid button in the drivers B pillar will not activate the lid. I have repaired the boot looms and checked all the contacts but still cannot find the problem. All the conditions seem to be met regarding this operation, ie the windows drop, the roof dash light comes on, and when it is pressed I hear the control unit behind the rear seat and the boot lock operating but still the stowage lid does not open. I have found one wire under the rear seat that appears to be broken but am not sure what it does, it is a single black wire with an ohms rating on it and appears to be audio related but is connected to a central locking system loom. Does anyone out there have any ideas on a fix for this problem or can tell me where this broken wire connects to, or even if it has anything to do with it.
I don't get stuck on many problems but this one has got me beat.
Help would be much appreciated.
Fitzcoach.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem from time to time.... I can't be sure but I found that it has something to do with my cloth getting buckled up and being so stiff that the latch won't loosen. On the other hand, when I press down hard on the toneau cover to compress the cloth so as to loosen the tightness, it doesn't always work to free the latch.

I did not think it was an electronic mechanism to free the latch... now I am a little worried that this will be happening to mine more often. Have you gotten any further?

You can email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cabriolet Hood Problems

Hi, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I have not yet found out what causes this malfunction. My hood cover latch does not open even before attempting to stow it away so the tightness of the fabric does not come into play, so I don't think that's my problem. I believe the majority of the procedure is electrical, and relies on certain safety interlocks before it will operate, and all these conditions seem to be met in my case but the catches still do not operate.
There are many postings on the net about this problem the most common of which seem to relate to the dreaded broken boot loom situation and this was the first fault that I came across, unfortunately repairing them did not totally solve the issue, but it did solve others. I would suggest that you check the continuity of these cables first as it is not a difficult test but time consuming to carry out properly.
I did read that broken wires in the boot can short out and affect the latch phasing, but have yet to find a method to check or reverse this, perhaps when the warmer weather comes along I will have another go.
If I find a solution I will let you know and post it on the site.
Best of luck
Regards.
Eric.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts