Audi Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably going to be getting rid of my Leon Cupra and buying an S4 in the newxt month or 2.
Im after a 2000 or early 2001 model (2.7)
And I have a few questions:

What should I look out for when buying?
Whats the standard power (267bhp?)
Remapped power?
What sort of MPG do they return?

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got a stage 3 2001 S4 plus a ton of extras, going to take some pictures tomorrow. If you are still interested.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Standard power in europe is about 265hp, in US it is 250hp. Remapped power you're looking at 320hp/370ftlbs. As for Gas Mileage, my MPG display right now reads 18.3 (but it is remapped). I get amazing mileage on the highway though. When buying an S4 first thing you should look for is turbos that are going. If you test drive it keep a sharp ear for any drill noises. A blown turbo sounds like a dentists drill. Also S4's are known for the syncros in 1st and 2nd gear to fail prematurely. Try and get a good feel for those gears. Also see if the car was properly serviced, prolonged oil changes can also have an effect on the turbos. Also try and find out the driving habbits of the previous owner, if he let the car idle to cool the turbos and if he let them warm up as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got a stage 3 2001 S4 plus a ton of extras, going to take some pictures tomorrow. If you are still interested.
I bought a 2000 B5 S4 a week ago. Is it normal to hear the turbos spooling sometimes in the '00 B5 S4? I've heard some conflicting information about this. It's not often, but every now and again I hear what sounds like a jet engine turbine for a second or 2. I love the responsiveness though. I'm told there would be no doubt my turbos were bad if that were the case. Is there any other indication?

·
Registered
328 Posts
i usually hear my turbos spool when my windows are down or music is not on. going turbos sounds like a high pitch drilling noise. if you have a boost gauge that will help also because you'll see your boost going down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I am looking at a Wagon, 5speed today over lunch that is a '99 1.8 Turbo. I am mechanically inclined when it comes to working on old german cars (I own a bmw 2002, had old beetles) and motorcycles ( i rebuilt some old BMW motorcycles too)... but what should i look for in these used cars? electrical issues? how can i tell if the clutch is strong?

The Wikki link was very helpful as far as listening to the turbo hiss and the TBB failure. The pdf on this thread is super old... and is a basic used car guide vs specific Audi issues.

i can't trust anybody's word in LA so it is really going to be up to my instinct and whatever advice i can get.

Thanks in advance!

-josh

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm currently looking a 2000 audi S4 biturbo tons of extras with 140,736 miles for $8,999.
I've never had an Audi before and wanted to know if the high amount of mileage will result in rebuilding the engine?

·
Registered
318 Posts
As with all B5 models be aware of control arms, tie rods, ball joints needing service as they are notorious for failing along with wheel bearings.

Timing belt and water pump are another big job that should be replaced if its a higher mileage car. The previous owner may have had it changed once but due to the old age and possible higher mileage it might be ready for its second timing belt job.

Other then what the other members have mentioned that's really it. Might have to deal with a few odds and ends needing replaced here and there but that's typical when owning an Audi!

Jason

1 - 18 of 18 Posts