Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello audi lovers!:D

I am currently trying to help my friend to buy an audi s3 (2000-2003 roughly on age with the facelift). we have £10,500 to spend though would rather not go over this.
basically i want to know what milage things start to go. ie clutch turbo breaks or whatever?
are there any common faults? were there any parts recalled?
im expecting to pick up a minter for 10k with about 60k on the clock all the top spec stuff and fullservice. does this sound about right?
please let me know any thoughts you have or worrys with the car you might share.
ive tried hard to convince him a mitsibushi evo would be a much better car.....surely you guys would agree with me? :D:D :D :D
cheers,
ally

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)

You should be ok with the car as long as its been maintained reguarly

Its like any car depends on how its been driven by previous owners as to how long the cluth/turbo etc will last !!

My A3 1.8T is still running on same Turbo, gearbox and engine with 143k on the clock and runs sweet !!

One thing you should check with the 1.8 is that the oil has been changed reguarly as they are prone to oil sludge which can block the feed to the oil pump and seize your engine if not caught in time !!!

You should get a good one for 10k and there are some good examples on ebay..

(i bought both my Audi Turbo's off Ebay and saved a fortune on dealer prices

Good luck with the purchase ....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I've got an S3 myself - had it for a year and well chuffed with it!!

One thing to watch out for is the timing belt. The book says its either 80k or 120k (engine code dependant) that it needs changed. However mine was making a strange noise at about 60k, so got it replaced at a cost of £360 and now all is fine. Since then I've read many places that you shouldn't let these belts go much passed 60k as there prone to snapping about then especially on remapped engines and causing entensive damage ££££. Got mine done just in the nick of time!!
Also make sure the HALDEX oil change has been done regularly on the diff, you don't want this to pack in!!

The only other thing i'd look out for is the Audi dealers servicing!! Had afew bad experiences with Dundee Audi, including them denting my bonnet!! Hence car now longer goes there!

Cheers
Gordon

·
Registered
23 Posts
Iv had mine since April 06, love it!!!

I got mine for £10,400 with 46,500 miles on the clock, full Audi Service History.

Id would say search for one with full Audi History and HPI cleared. Check on the below site, this is where I got mine from:

As for the Evo's, LOVE EM, Thats my next car!

PistonHeads.com :: Speed Matters

Cheers
Coz

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys, in the end my mate got a tt 225bhp. its a great car. i preffer the s3 though as its less girly. but hey its not my car. just wanted to say thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
a lad on here was trying to sell his A3.... we could have set you both on a date!!!!

but the TT is ok with the 225..

Cheers

Rickt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts