Audi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the Audi world but already love it! I found this while I was cruzing the local adds...

http://denver.craigslist.org/car/195060215.html

I talked him down to $2700. I went to look at the car and it's beautiful. The interior is immaculate and the body is in excellent shape. The only thing that worries me is the low compression in the first cylinder. He also just ordered 20 new lifters and is going to replace them to try and fix the valve train noise and low compression.

couple questions

1) I've heard the 1.8L turbo engines were something to stay away from because Audi/Volkswagen recalled a bunch. I'm not entirely sure about this but my very trusted mechanic friend said I should stay away from the 1.8 and look for a 2.8
2) Is it a hard job to replace the cylinder head/gaskets if thats the problem of the low compression? I'm mechanically inclined, have most of the tools, and can figure out anything if I have a set of directions or a manual.

what do you guys think? any input?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi Hockey,

I would probably stay away from this one; however, if the new lifters solve the noise and compression problem completely, then it might be worth the chance.

The 1.8 is a good motor, there are no recalls on this motor, just a potential sludge problem if you do not follow the recommended oil change intervals completely and most dealers use synthetic oil now.

This motor is an "interference" motor in that if the timing belt breaks, the valves will run into the pistons. I would suspect that if the belt broke while driving at anything other than idle, then there is likely more damage than the previous owner is thinking.

good luck, and I prefer the '99.5 model or later with the one piece headlights and improved dash.
VB

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when the owners friend tore down the engine to put the new head on he inspected the pistons, bore, and everything else and said it was all fine so the internals of the engine are great. It might be a chance worth taking because if this motor craps out on me in the next year my neighbor has a 99 A4 2.8L motor sitting in his garage he's willing to sell me for $600.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
i would stay away... theres plenty out there which are running fine... you just need to find the ONE!....

Cheers

RickT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts