Audi Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I've been looking at getting a used A4, but am wondering if there are any specific problems to this car that I should look for?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question..I forgot all about that. I'm just looking at the 1.8T. I have no need for a bigger engine as those days are in the past for me now.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Makes sure the cambelt has been changed and hasnt ever snapped in the past. It was a common problem for the 20v engine because they over estimated how long it would last. A lot of them snapped around the 70,000 mile mark.
Other than that no problems. Make sure the turbo isn't rattling or anything like that and you should be fine. On the whole a very reliable car which will last 200,000 miles if treated right.

Good luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
look at control arms, oil sludge and coil packs

·
Registered
5 Posts
i agree with timing belt issue. had mine replaced at 62k for 1300 bucks. also having trouble with control arm now at 68k. make sure they have been running syth. oil do to sludge issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just one more question. I would love to get a quattro, but I have yet to find one yet. Would it be better to wait and get one without that option or should I just settle. I have only really found 2.8 quattros. Should I consider those?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Wait for a quattro. And I prefer the 1.8T motor. (with chip and exhaust = 200+HP)

As in other posts others may suggest the V6 which is a very nice motor and smooth but has worse mileage and is heavier.

VB

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
2.8 is also very thirsty on gas and you would be lucky to get 20mpg round town also group 17 insurance compared to 1.8t group 14-15.
They also only made the 2.8 on the older B5 platform and now use 3.0 quattro on the B6.
You can find 1.8t quattro but they are rarer than 2wd models on the B5 platform and they came with 180bhp as standard compared to the 2wd 150bhp.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The 1.8T motor was 150hp regardless of quattro or 2wd in the US until 2001 when it went to 170hp. Chipped the motors are about the same at 200 and 206HP.

VB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts