Audi Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there , im looking for a bigger car as i have a child on the way , after years of hassle free mazda ownership, i am thinking about an a4 tdi avant, i think the 110 bhp red i , but can someone please explain a bit what the red i thing means ,.... i know its the red i on the tdi bit but what does this mean in practical terms?

if i go to look at a car how can i tell if its the 90 bhp or the 110?
what i have i mind is a 98 s plate, 130k or so miles should be ok with a history ...right ? anything else i should look out or ????

any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance

·
Registered
3 Posts
A bit late with this but if your still after some info....

The red I in the tdi signifies that it's a 110 or a 130 depending on the year of manufacture and model, double check the manufacturers label as a previous owner could have replaced the badge, it is only a piece of plastic stuck on. The label doesn't state the power in bhp but in Kw (atleast it does in Europe) so 66Kw is 90bhp and 96Kw is 130bhp I figure the 110bhp should show 80Kw. My old A4 has the label in the spare wheel well.

The power can make a lot of difference, I've just bought a 130bhp A4 Sport and it leaves my old 90bhp A4 SE way behind in pure acceleration, it can reach 80mph about 100 yards before it.

If the car is sluggish in 3rd and 4th gear it could need a new air mass meter, the first A4 I bought could barely reach 100mph and had very slow pickup, it felt like a different car when I had the air mass meter changed.

Make sure you get an SE as it has climate control as standard, especially if your going for a black one, mine is like an oven if I don't have it turned on even in a British summer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts