Audi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everybody, i just joined this forum becuase i am thinking of purchasing a manual 1999 A4 1.8T... I was just wondering if there is anything in particular i should look out for when shopping for this car.

Also what pricing i should look for? i have found a few on craigslist with around 70k-90k miles for $8k-$10k, but i have been talking to my local used audi dealer.

he called to tell me he got this car in which i requested (i was looking at a jetta before), but hasnt named a price yet. i know he's probably going to say 15k, but what do you guys think i could talk him down to realistically?

Lastly, if i get this car there is no way i would be able to resist upgrading the turbo, exhaust, headers, intake, etc... so my question is, if done properly, how much horsepower do you think i could yoke out of it for $5k?

thanks all, :liebe011: :thumbsup:

tim

·
Registered
195 Posts
You're probably going to get all kinds of replies and advice. I would start by going through this forum and reading previous posts asking the same question, or from newbies who are asking for reassurance about their purchases.

Upgrades galore, you'll get lots of advice. Again, read what's already here there are hundreds of postings/replies to these questions.

What to look for: receipt for timing belt, and tensioner replacement, otherwise plan $700 + cost for water pump etc. while you're in there. Actually get all the receipts, including for every oil change. The 1.8T motors need oil changed religiously.

I'll let others jump in with replies, they should abound.

I love my '99 1.8T Avant.

VB

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
15K sounds too much for a 1999 a4 1.8 t B5 platfrom.Over here in uk you could pick up the same motor from a dealer for about £4-5000 ($8-9000).

Worth having a look on Ebay for a bargain!

As volcanoblack says oil changes reguarly and service history vital for knowing your buying a nice car.

As for turbo upgrade if you are happy to push the output to about 200 bhp without spending big bucks a simple ECU remap would work well for about $500 but if you want serious power you could get up to ive heard 500 bhp out of the 1.8t with the right upgrades.

good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your replies, and apologies for the vagueness of this whole topic, but i have been updated..

so it turns out it is a 2001 black/grey 1.8T quattro, which is still getting all tuned up and expected at the place so cannot be test driven yet, but should be ready in a week or less. the guy said that he couldnt really put a price on it yet because it is still being inspected, but guesses that it will be around 15,000-17,000.. i told him i can find the same thing for half the price from private parties, but he didnt really say anything to that.

but also, he says they have a 2001 s4 for 25,000 which i am sure is negotiable, but i havent really looked into s4 pricing mcuh before.. is this the super great deal that he is hyping it up to be? whether it is or not i think i'll test drive it just for the sake of driving a twin turbo. :gunsmilie:

but anyways, i have been looking around this site and have found a lot of really helpful stuff, but i seem to now have the same question as the other newbie looking to buy, which is, what is the deal with the bad reviews of the 1.8t?

i had never really heard of bad reviews of the 1.8t, but i guess this guy has heard a lot of them, so i was hoping someone coudl explain that?

anyways thanks in advance,

tim

·
Registered
12 Posts
www.kbb.com
check it for prices on any used car... nothing better than this..
I got my A4 1997 1.8T 68k Miles....automatic/FWD for 6000$. But I have to get belt changed (~600$) so thats =6600$

A lot depends on ur budget ..stick to it..consider the taxes over the regular price... If checking from private...check their history / any maintenance book they might have...so that u can be sure of wat they r saying....Dont listen to them...check the papers first..then car urself and then think about it....
On snaps all kinds of cars look nice but believe me ..u ll realise once u go and see them..
It took me a month to find a good car. !!!
all d best...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts