Audi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, need some help.
I want to buy 1997 A6, need majority opinion about the car, and and what are most common problem with the car and what should I look for or check before I buy a Car.
Any suggestions, thoughts, welcome.
Thanks In Advance Alex

·
Registered
26 Posts
Which model are you most interested in, personally I like the 5cyl TDI, but the petrol's tend to be cheaper to buy.... also where are you?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the car specs

Year 1997
Make AUDI Sedan
Model A6
Model Detail 2.8L V6 QUATTRO
Exterior Colour GREEN
Interior Colour GREY
Transmission AUTOMATIC
Drive Train ALL WHEEL
Engine Size 2.8, 6 cyl.
Fuel Type GAS

What should I ask before I'm buying a car, the car has 160,000 km on it, Any suggestions ? [attachmentid=980]

http://images.trader.ca/autotrader/6/40/13...0.jpg.fpx?large

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
I can't give specifics on this model as I've not had one but they are all very similar. Other than standard checks you'd do for any car, like service history & and body repairers due to collisions, make sure there are no oil leaks, (inc the rear dif), as these could be expensive to fix. The 4wd makes them a little more complex but they are still pretty basic and solid in suspension, with simple McPherson struts, (not overly complex like the modern versions with multilinks everywhere).

In fact the front is very well designed and you can replace a damper / shock absorber without jacking the car up or removing the strut from the car.

Check also if possible, that all the toys work (a/c), driveshaft boots are not split, (inc rear driveshaft), exhaust / cat condition and on a test drive check there is no transmission shunt when coming on and of the power and also check for any suspension / steering knocks looseness or bearing rumble.

If the car has been in a dry climate it will likely be fine, but in the UK, (which was why I asked where you were, Canada??.. the internet is global), they don't rust due to being galvanised, but some of the components suffer, radiators for instance often rust from the outside in and the fuel lines corrode, etc

Check the air-con is working, you may find it's not as efficient as American cars, but this is normal, Audis especially and European cars in general have lousy air-con systems compared to the US cars I've driven, (an early 90's town car was like a deep freezer). Also make sure coolant has been used in the engine (not just plain water as this will corrode the engine and block the heater matrix, which is a fairly involved if not difficult item to replace (it would be many hours labour if you couldn't do it yourself)

As long as it's an honest car and has been properly maintained, not been in accidents I can't see you can go wrong. also don't be fooled into thinking is an Audi and must be complex so only Audi can mend it, if you invest in Vag-Com you or anyone with a little mechanical knowledge can service & maintain one of these cars, a Haynes manual (eBay) is a great companion, but it doesn't specially cover V6 or Quattro models.

If you do go for it a few things to check when you have it is,

the electric window wiring to the door (esp drivers) can brake / fray. pull the rubber boot away where it goes from the a pillar to the door and check the wires are ok.

also when the battery is replaced in cars with a/c, (it's under the back seat), the seat has a metal wire frame, and the battery positive terminal has a protective cover for a reason. Often this cover doesn't fit the replacement battery so is discarded. Then a fat person gets in the back and squashes the seat down so the fame comes into contact with the positive terminal..... result a fire!! I've seen more than a few in breakers yards with interior fires and this area is the flash point. Not a fault if the battery was replaced correctly, but worth checking if you buy the car..

Can't think of anything that they especially suffer from off the top of my head, solid reliable well put together, if not dynamically the best in it's class and at 100,000 miles just run it... mine has done 180,000 miles :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts