Audi Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My 2003 A4 TDI quattro seems to have a slight fault. What happens is this:- If you put a full lock on (right lock) then go forward it feels like the front right tyre is falling over and losing grip. The same feeling you would get on driving slowly over a large stone then slipping sideways off the stone.

It happens more on inclines and not on left lock. Also (annoyingly) not all the time either.

I have just had 4 new tyres and I am going to check all the bolt tighness with a torque wrench in a minute.

Does anyone know if the B6 A4s suffered with the lower arm trouble that the B5 platform Passats and A4s did? Or would a 4 wheel alignment help?

Any thought much apprciated indeed.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I know that this might seem a bit off the wall but when you first set off the ABS does a test which can sound and feel a bit like what you describe. I think it is more noticable with lock on
Just a thought

·
Registered
224 Posts
They still suffer from failing, clunky joints.

I had a track rod end replaced under warranty after just 12k mi.

Rgds

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
also.. you should never drive any car forward in full lock.. ie if your holding it on lock and driving.. you just always get to full lock and turn back an inch to stop stress..

RicKT

·
Registered
224 Posts
RickT said:
also.. you should even drive any car forward in full lock.. ie if your holding it on lock and driving.. you just always get to full lock and turn back an inch to stop stress..

RicKT
Very wise advice.

This is really regarding the "traditional" power steering systems, which had a separate pump, driven from the engine auxillary belt, and connected to the rack by long hydraulic hoses.

On the newer power steering systems, including the servotronic (where the hydraulic pump is integral with the rack, and is intelligently electronically controlled), and the latest electronic systems, on the A3 an Golf V (no hydraulics at all, just an electric motor), this advice isn't critical, but it's still good to show some mechanical "sympathy". ;)

Rgds

·
Registered
224 Posts
RickT said:
nice comment....

RicKT
Thanks - I always try to provide helpful, unbiased advice and info.

Rgds

1 - 7 of 7 Posts