Audi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am on my sixth Audi, 1980 5000T, 1984 5000T, 1987 5000T, 1990 Quattro V-8, 1999 A6 3.8 and now 2006 A6 3.2 purchased last July. Have always been very pleased with the quality and all features of the various models...until now. At about 4500 miles my newest developed the worst squeal in brakes when coming to a stop. Very aggravating, annoying and even embarrassing! (The bank teller at drive up "whats wrong with your car?") Dealer says "they all do it". Not an acceptable response say I. A $50K auto should not have brakes that squeal like a fingernail on a blackboard (for those that remember blackboards).
Anyway, any suggestions? Dealer is willing to replace the pads, but if same material, may happen again anyway.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Doubt if it is brake pad material. Most likely a calliper adjustment (chatter). Your guess is as good as mine as to which adjustment to make. As long as there's no money out of your pocket then let the dealer do the job. That way you have a documented warranty issue if things get worse down the road. JMO.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
i would say that is it not the material as above, i would say from past experience one of you pads is not been pushed onto the brake disc square on.. which causes a tiny gap between the pad and disc when braking which in turn causes excess vibration producing the squeal!

if you like getting your hands dirty... i would whip the wheel off and just have a closer look and the brakes, appliying a bit of copper grease on the sliders and just make sure all looking ok.. etc.. (####if you are unsure dont play with them!!(dont want you blaming me - if you end up in your neigbours garden!! '-p ####)

·
Registered
1 Posts
MHB,

I have the same problem on my 2006 A6 as well. The dealer replaced the front calipers a couple of months ago and now the noise is back again. I call my local dealer and they informed me that they are calling the Audi representative to meet with me personally. I'm hoping by the end of this month...

·
Registered
78 Posts
When's the last time you washed the car?

Mines got the same issue, dealer says brakes are not due for a while

But after a wash (using jetwash on the wheels) the squeeking goes away for a while until its dirty again
Put it down to brake dust

1 - 5 of 5 Posts