Audi Forums banner

Bose Amp/speaker Replacement

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  HellBent 
#1 ·
i have a 96 a6 and I was wondering how hard it was just to swap the bose amp in the back with something like an alpine 4 chan. amp. Or do you have to rewire the whole car? (i already wired the deck). And When/if i replace the speakers can i just swap the old speakers with the new speakers?... I was always under the impression that the wires all had to be replaced. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Your real issue will be finding an aftermarker amplifier small enough to fit in the location of the stock amp. If you do, you can reuse all your wiring except for your constant power and earth. I'd recommend running 4 or 8 guage wiring directly to your battery for power and a very short length of the same guage for your earth.

If you plan to use an aftermarket amp in a different location, ie. under the rear parcel shelf, you can pickup the remote turn on, front and rear channel ouputs for the h/u from the wiring harnes of your stock amp and then bridge them across to your new amp. You can then either run new speaker cable to each location or again run it into the wiring harness for the stock amp. Either way it will work fine...

Replacing all your stock speakers is a good idea. All the Bose stuff is 2-ohm, after market stuff is 4-ohm. It is quite easy to do. In the front doors you can fit 5.25" components. In the rear parcel shelf and rear doors you can get 6.5" drivers. You will also want to de-Bose your head unit. Again an easy thing to do, just find someone who has the VAGCOM plug and s.w.

Good luck, call out if you've got any further questions.

#3 ·
Man, you answered my question perfectly, thank you.

However, since there are 6 bose speakers, do you need a 6 channel amp...?...or can you wire 4 speakers to the front channels, and the other 2 to the rear? Im not sure exactly how you get all the speakers running at about the same power.

I am also looking at these: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-NBnwJHEPWM5/c...S&id=review#Tab
They are 5.25", but the site says they wont fit in my car...will they or wont they?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.